Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Why Meetings Suck

Who the hell was the person who created corporate meetings? That dude was one boring mo-fo. I'm not really even supposed to be part of the "corporate" model, but that florescent-lighting meeting format is not just for the suits any more. Even the granola-munching, blue hair having, free-stuff-giving, slightly Pinko library crowd is getting their Powerpoint on. How did this happen?

I spent my first day back in Libraryland after the holidays at a five hour meeting. At first glance, you might think that the problem lies in the fact that it was five frigging hours. Ok, you may have a point. You may also think that once you have a group of well-read, well-researched, opinionated smartypants librarians in a room, it's not surprising that the scene starts to resemble a room full of Brainy Smurfs, each lecturing the next. Ok, another point well taken. Still, to me, it's more about the way in which we spent those five hours that makes my eyes glaze over from the overuse of the phrase "deliverables and outcomes" and my nostrils dry up from the dry-erase marker dust. It's all those meeting-accoutrements that make it a big old snoozefest.

All this Gareth and David Brent stuff doesn't belong in Libraryland, people. Let's blaze a new trail. There is a smaller group of us that meet regularly, and we always go to a coffee shop to chat it up. No giant Post-Its. No badge required to scan yourself into the room. No process-mapping (whatever the hell that is). I promise you, there is a direct correlation between ass-numbing chairs and mind-numbing meetings. I know what's going on here-- this stuff is creeping into places it doesn't belong. My marine biologist friend has these meetings. My theatre friends have these meetings. My designer friends have these meetings. My construction friends have these meetings. These places are not Wall Street and I'll be damned if I'm Charlie Sheen. Do you want to be Charlie Sheen? I didn't think so.

Go to a coffee shop, kick your feet up, be creative. Gray walls are not good for the soul.

Kiss the rings, I'm out.
Librarian Girl

1 comment:

Josh said...

Um...if I did want to be Charlie Sheen (and that's a big "if") would that really be so wrong?

Again: IF