Thursday, May 03, 2007

Head Case

I decided I need to ditch my hair stylist. Sad, but true. The snooty-patooty atmosphere was just a little too much to stand, even if they totally give good hair. Plus, I am on this kick where I don't want to drive any where, and now that I live in my cute new neighborhood with all the delicious urban amenities, I really don't need to be driving five miles to get my hair cut. So, I found a salon (rated highly in my librarianesque over-the-top research I did beforehand) located about ten blocks from my house, and made an appointment. The first time I went there, the person I got was nice, and gave me a fair-enough haircut (you have to train your stylists into your hair, you know, so having her be spectacular the first time is kind of unfair). The only teeny, tiny, itsy bitsy problem was that she almost crushed my skull in her ninja-like hands. Before she cut my hair, she told me that she was going to give me a "complimentary scalp massage." Okey dokey. Go for it. I'm ready for relaxatio--OW OW STOP IT WHAT THE HELL MY HEAD MY HEAD!

Really. She was trying to smoosh my head like a pistachio. I tried to tell her "less pressure, please" and although she lightened up, it never got to a place where it felt good. Who likes deep tissue Swedish massage on their head? Not me, that's who. So, the next time I needed to get my haircut, I went to the same salon, and got someone else.

I know this has to happen all the time. Stylists must be used to it. People coming in, getting a haircut from one person, then switching over to another person until they find someone they want to stick with. It's like dating. If it ain't working with one person, you gotta move on to the next. But am I the only one that feels weird about this? It's just such an obvious judgment on someone's talents. You suck, I'm outie, ya punk. It's got to sting them a little, right?

For my second haircut, I walked in to find that Atomic Skullcrush wasn't working that day. Good, I thought to myself, I at least won't have to face her for today. I was introduced to the stylist for that day, who started me off with a massage that didn't belong in the WWE. She then started on the haircut. As she started snipping away, who should walk in but the Skullcrush. Oh well, I thought as I saw her eyes take note of me, she'll have to start her shift at her station, which is across the room, and the awkward moment will pass.

Only? It didn't pass. Because she wasn't there to start her shift. She was there to get her haircut. Right next to me. She came over and sat herself an arm's length away from me in the station to my left. And then, you know what? The dude that was cutting her hair swiveled her right around so that she was staring right at the the side of my head. Dead on. I tried to look nonchalant. La la la, I am getting my haircut and looking straight ahead at myself in the mirror, chatting away with the nice lady who didn't try and decapitate me with her bare mitts. After a couple of minutes, my stylist swivels ME around. There we are, face to face, (a couple of silver spoons). Did anyone get that joke? Anyhoo. So there we are, in our chairs, facing each other as we both get our hair cut. What does one do in this situation? Do I say hello? It seems presumptuous that she would remember me, but, to be honest, I know she does. I wait for her to say something. And wait. And wait.

Meanwhile, my stylist is still chatting away with me.

Stylist: So how did you hear about this salon?
Me: Oh, I just live in this neighborhood and read good reviews about it.
Her: So you just walked in?
Me: Yes. I made an appointment and came in.
(Skullcrusher: stare stare stare)
Her: Well, I hope your first time with us brings you back!
Me: Yeah, ha ha. I'm sure it will.
(Skullcrusher: stare stare stare)

It was a neutral stare, not a glare. I couldn't tell if she was even listening to what we were saying. She couldn't possibly be judging me for implying that this was my first time in here, when she and I both know that's not true, right? Right?

After a good ten-minute stare down (the Skullcrusher versus her victim!), we got swiveled away from each other. I managed to get out of there without further incident. But gawd, you guys. I felt kind of bad. And I'm not one to feel bad about stupid shit like this.

Maybe, because of her head-assault, my brain was tenderized into stupidity. She's the one that beat the crap out of my cranium, so why should I feel bad, right?

Has anyone out there felt bad for dissing a stylist? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Kiss the rings, I'm out.
Librarian Girl

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, yes! I have the bad habit of putting of a hair cut until I needed one two weeks ago, and then I call around until I find someone who can fit me in *that day*. (I used to be cheap and go get $5 cuts at the local cosmetology school, but the students were usually scared of messing up my abundant, frizzy, generally unruly hair and it usually would take 2 hours for a trim.) So, one day I went to a *real* salon had a very talkative nice conversation with the stylist - we had a lot in common personality-wise but I wasn't in love w/ the hair cut. So, next time I need a cut? It's right before a conference, and I need an appt. right away so I can look like a cool hip librarian, of course. I call around, and as luck would have it I ended up with an awesome stylist - for the first time since caring about my hair, I really loved it! So now I want to practically marry this new stylist, but I keep running into the other stylist at the grocery store. She always gives me a friendly hug and says "Come see me sometime soon!" The guilt is big and looming.
~ A librarian from the Midwestern lands.

Sauntering Soul said...

I guess I'm not a typical girl - I've never had a stylist that I stuck with. I go to a different salon pretty much everytime I get my hair cut. But I understand how this could be very uncomfortable.

Unknown said...

my sister-in-law has cut my hair for years now... and I don't like my hair. (She hasn't worked at a salon for years, and I think she isn't quite up on what works)... but do I go to a real salon? Nope, just continue to not like my hair. It's not bad, just.. boring. So yes, I am a big victim of guilt keeping me tied to a sylist(?) who doesn't knock me out with her style (perhaps when we get together you can bring me to the skull crusher to make amends)

Gwen said...

this post was so funny!! I am very picky about my hair, and stick with a stylist who does a good job for years, but I have been very fortunate to always find good stylists at the same salon in my town.
I now go between two stylists at the same shop, they are both very good, but in different ways and they are funny and interesting (almost as important as being good!). I have to go on days that the other one doesn't work, though, or I feel SO GUILTY!!
I am a massage therapist, and I am sure that people feel the same way about massage therapists, but I know that it is a very personal decision and all of us massage therapists have different styles, and I work very hard to not feel rejected if one of my clients goes to someone else.
I would think that hairstylists feel the same way, but I am glad that the two women I go to work on different days, so I don't have to feel guilty.

Claire said...

tee hee, this made me chuckle. Before I found my current stylist I was a TOTAL hairdresser ho; I would go to any old place, spend way over the odds, and never be happy, but when you have crazy mad hair like mine what can you expect from one visit?

Don't feel bad, they have to earn that loyalty! And you can only really say you have that when you practically float out of the salon, all hair flicking and strutting, thinking to yourself, damn I am looking hooooot today!

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

oh! I totally know what you mean! I've had this happen! soooo uncomfortable! I'm a big fan of the deny deny deny approach so I think saying it's the first time you've been there is a good plan, in fact if she's asked outright if she'd cut my hair I woulda lied! I mean they see a lot of people she could be mistaken!

Anonymous said...

I've had this happen, too, and I do feel bad! But like you said, it must happen all the time. It's part of the job for them and you just have to own your hair, baby. The hair is the most important thing. Don't worry about the feelings of Scullcrusher.

Ask yourself: What would Ricky Schroeder do?

Lesley said...

I feel bad just driving by the salon I stopped going to, as if the rejected stylist is watching the street all day with binoculars. I think part of the problem is that haircutting is such a personal thing--a relative stranger is touching your *head*. However, I also think it's up to the ex-stylist to do the right thing and give a little smile that says, "Yes, I know who you are and I so don't mind that you're sitting in someone else's chair." The fact that this person didn't do that makes it even more clear that you made the right choice.

cadiz12 said...

i'm an avoider. bad stylist? new salon. i don't think i've had my hair cut in the same place twice within any five-year span.

that scene played out in my head like a silver spoons musical montage, with the "TOGETHER! we're gonna find our way" part when you were turned to face her, and the last, "you and i, together" drifting off as you avoided her stare as you left.

great stuff. all you needed was for mini jason bateman to wink and point at you on the way out.

Jen said...

I'm with sauntering soul: I've never stuck with one particular stylist. I didn't even realize they would recognize you given all the heads they must see!

Anonymous said...

As a avid reader and dedicated non- commenter I feel highly touched (in the good way) by your entry, here, today.
Because 56 minutes ago I left my hair salon.
My original hair cutter/ colorer/ up-doer is Lisa. Now it's Dina.
But Lisa is always there.
And today when I coo'ed how much I looove the red in my hair Lisa stared.
And stared.
And stared.
In that 'I will eat your brains for DINNER' kind of way.
Very awkward for me, indeed.
-Librariam assistant (Lowly page.)

Jen Robinson said...

This is why I cut my own hair for 5+ years, and why I now go to an Aveda school so that the turnover/graduation of students makes the experience amnesiatic for all.

librarianista said...

I was faithful to one stylist for a very long time, but then a few months ago my friend graduated from hair cuttery school, so now I go to her. But every time I pass my old salon I make sure to walk on the other side of the street, in case my ex is near the window.

Also, I still get the Silver Spoons theme song stuck in my head sometimes. Less than the Who's the Boss? theme, but sometimes.

Anonymous said...

Oh dude. I hate the whole breaking up with the hairstylist/cheating on the hairstylist thing. It's like dating except you are only expected to go on a date every other month, they're no putting out, and no booze. But ... other than that, it's totally the same.