Thursday, March 29, 2007

Name Gangs

Have you ever noticed that names come in bunches? Like, you'll make a new friend named Kate, and then all of a sudden you meet 6 or 9 other Kates, right in a row? Maybe you would never have noticed all the Kates lining up like that had you not had one especially highlighted for you. Or maybe people with the same name travel in groups, springing themselves upon unsuspecting bystanders, drowning them in Kate-ness. I'm telling you, these roving bands of same-name people exist. I went to high school with a scary gang of people named Amy. There were four of them, joined at the hip, as they strangled people to death with rosy-cheeked, girl-next-door cuteness. I always wondered about them. Like, did they just happen to all befriend each other, regardless of the name? How did this Amy gang happen?

There was a period of time in my life when my friend Palindrome and I always ended up dating boys with matching names. I started dating a Paul, and so did she. She dated a Matt, and so did I. It went on like this for a period of about two years. It was eerie. As a matter of fact, now that I remember it, my other friend Emily was also dating a Matt at the same time we were. So three of us, all dating Matts. I have never since dated a Matt, and neither have either of the two of them, as far as I know. But for a brief period in the early 90s, we were all tripping over Matts.

There are names that crop up in my life over time as well. Some of them are understandabley ubiquitous because of the popularity of the names. Everyone my age is overrun with Jennifers and Heathers, so I suppose it's not a stretch when lots of pivotal people in my life have those names. But then there are ones that aren't so common, yet crop up two, three, four times anyway. I have two important Nancys. I had a very important Julia when I was a kid, and I do again now. I also have important Jasons. And Kevins. And not just because those are kind of common names. If that were true, I would have a Brian, an Amy, a Mike. But I don't.

I think the name gangs could all be averted if we took some advice from name visionaries like Jermaine Jackson. He named his kid Jermajesty. Now, tell me, the odds of someone meeting two people named Jermajesty in their life? Not going to happen. Or the parents who named their kid Urhines Kendall Icy Eight Special K (thanks, Sauntering Soul, for finding this name, you have no idea the joy it has brought me). They are insuring that their kid will share a name with no one. And god bless the parents of college football player Luscious Pusey. Pure poetry, is what that is, right there. It's enough to bring a tear to my eye.

So what name gangs have come into your lives? Comment and email. I want to know.

Kiss the rings, I'm out.
Librarian Girl

14 comments:

yola said...

Not gangs, but a hell of a lot of pairs. The men in my family have the knack of marrying women with the same name as their sister. My mom and my aunt, my sister and my sister-in-law, my brother-in-law's wife and his sister. Talk about confusing. My mother refers to "your sister" and to "Dave's Jen" to clarify between the Jens. And then of course there was my college roommate who had the same name as me--we were referred to as Christine^2.

Claire said...

My own name was the most popular girls name in 1975, the year I was born, so consequently I went to school with about 8 Claire's (or Clare). Since school though I've hardly met anyone with the same name. And I have three good friends called Sarah so they all have to have their own nicknames or confusion reigns

Anonymous said...

Oddly enough, I don't have any gangs (my sister and my oldest friend have the same name, though). Maybe what's weirder, given that I was born in 74, is that I have never had an important Jennifer in my life. There weren't even any in my elementary school classes. LOTS of K names, though. That's probably a Minnesota thing, with all the Scandinavians.

My own name is unusual--I've met one person with my name and randomly encountered a few others, and it's sort of like belonging to a secret club. I've never met anyone else with my boyfriend's name, either, though it's a pretty popular name in England.

I dated two Mikes in a row, but that's no surprise. Lots of Mikes out there (lots of monosyllables, among dude names). And my first serious boyfriend--his name was Alec, his brother was Allan, his sister was Alix. No wonder I didn't marry into that family.

Lisa said...

Our lib system has a good run on Kate (and variations there of), Steve, and Phil. My fist love's family was full of various Katherines married to various Richards. I've had lots of important Susans in my life.

srcsmgrl said...

I have two very good friends with my name, and another couple of acquaintances. Funny thing--I often get called Jennifer. Mixing up their common names I guess.

french panic said...

I went to school with a lot of Karens and variations of Kerri/Kerrys.

I have had a number of bad experiences with people named Jen or Jenny. Full length Jennifers are okay.

Steves are people I stay away from, after a particularly bad run of them in the late 90s.

And the Sarahs in my life seem to be mentally ill, for the most part.

The strangest thing was the L thing that happened in high school. My closest friends were named Laura, Leora and Lea. I am not an L name, but I no longer feel left out when amongst those who do have an L name. Progress.

(Does anyone else ever have problems leaving posts on blogger? It sometimes takes up to 4 tries for me. Hence the ever longer comments. Grr.)

Anonymous said...

Names in families can get a bit crazy--my husband's father, uncle, brother, & nephew all have the same name--we have to refer to them as My Pat, Your Pat, Our Pat, and Little Pat.

Sauntering Soul said...

My aunt is Susan Elaine. She named her two daughters Susan Elaine and Susan Michelle. They go by Elaine, Susan and Michelle which alleviates most confusion. However, they moved to Florida a number of years ago and my aunt had to go back to college for a couple of courses so she could take the CPA exam down there. She and her daughter Susan Elaine had the same class one time. Can you imagine the poor teacher with two students with the same first, middle and last name in a class together?

Anonymous said...

Oh, the Matts! And Pauls! Now I'm having this creepy thing where all of these ex-boyfriends are naming their sons Jack. Seriously. I think I'm up to 3 Jacks.

Jen said...

On a message board I frequent, several girls with whom I am the closest all have husbands with the same name as mine. It's even a trend over the whole board. Something like 10% of the husbands have this name.

Susan C. said...

I have had 3 bosses named Nancy - yet have never met any other Nancys (Nancies?) besides them.

I knew a lot of Daniels in college, but not since graduation.

velocibadgergirl said...

I never ever in my life met anyone named Susan until the year after I graduated from college. Then within a year, I met three. And the year after, met two more. So I went from knowing no Susans to knowing five and working with two.

Anonymous said...

A summary of my gang of library skool friends, including myself:

Leah
Lia
Leia

Katie
Katie
Kathy
Kelly
Katrina

Annie
Andi

Meridith

Deborah

Thank god for Meridith and Deborah!

Slitely Askew said...

I've had a history of knowing crazy "Becky" chicks (various spellings - some called Rebecca) I'm convinced there isn't a Becky out there that isn't a sociopath.