Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Go Go Gadget Jetsetter

This morning, I drove Nordic Boy to the airport. We didn't exactly have a tearful goodbye, the likes of which one usually sees at airports. You know that whole opening montage in Love, Actually? Yeah, it was nothing like that. This isn't because I won't miss him while he goes on his trip. I just won't miss him any harder than I do on any other given work day. This is because he's flying off to another state, for the day. He'll be home in time for dinner. As a matter of fact, after jetsetting around for the day, he'll most likely make it back home before I'm even done in Libraryland. He is being flown to another state for a ten a.m. meeting. I just have to repeat that. He is being flown, to another state, for one 10 a.m. meeting. Who does that?

Ok, enough italics. It just blows my librarian mind that people do this sort of thing for a living. I mean, when I have to go fill in at another branch of my library system, that's as far as I travel for my job. But Nordic Boy, his mad skillz are mad skillzzy enough that he's wanted all up and down the west coast, and people will pay for him to come meet with them. That's pretty crazy, when I really start to think about it.

So today, basically what he's going to be doing, is visiting the site of a new high-rise that's under construction and inspect it. When he does this, I like to call him Inspector Director. Director, because his actual job title has the word Director in it. Inspector because of the whole, you know, inspecting thing. If I'm feeling especially energetic, I will even sing him the Inspector Gadget song, because well, that's just the kind of person that I am. So, as we were driving to the airport this morning, we had this conversation:

Me: Nah, nah-nah nah-nah, Inspector Director, nah nah-nah nah-nah doo doo!
Him: You know, when you think about it, my job is kind of weird.
(This is one of the many things I love about Nordic Boy. When I act like a complete nutter and sing non-sensical songs for no reason other than I am having pop culture Tourrett's, he will continue the conversation as if I am not abnormally abnormal. You gotta love a guy like that).
Me: What, you mean because you are getting on a plane in order to go to a meeting in another state that will last a couple of hours, and then you're going to turn right around and fly back?
Him: Well, sort of. But it's more than that. I mean, just think about what I am actually doing.
Me: Ok. And?
Him: I go all this way, go to a construction site, walk around and point out all the things that they've done wrong. And they just follow me around and take notes.
Me: Yeah, so?
Him: Don't you think that's weird? They're the ones building the frickin' high rise. Shouldn't they already know how to do it? Why do they need me to come in and point out mistakes? I mean, what if the library hired someone like that? What if someone came in and followed you around all day to point out when you forgot to answer a question? You wouldn't forget to answer a question. You're a professional. You know your job. You don't need someone walking around you all day telling you how you've fucked up.
Me: Actually, I do have someone who follows me around to tell me how much I'm fucking up. That's just called "mean library patron."
Him: But you don't hire someone from out of state for that, right?
Me: No. They come in for free.
(pause)
Me: You know, you're right though. You do have sort of a diva-ish job. Walking around telling people what to do. It's quite rude, actually.
Him: I know. It's like I'm paid to be an ass. But at least I'm nice. So if you have to have someone doing this to you, at least it's a nice ass.
Me: Ha ha! You said "nice ass!" Ha ha!
Him: You should be thankful that I don't bring my work home with me, or else I'd be pointing out the things that you do wrong. Like that joke? So wrong.
Me: A-HA. But you DID just point it out. You couldn't help yourself! Nah nah-nah nah-nah, Inspector Director, nah na-nah nah-nah, doo dooooo!

Kiss the rings, I'm out.
Librarian Girl

5 comments:

Susan C. said...

Ha! You guys are awesome. Except now I have the Inspector Director theme in my head.

Sphincter said...

I have that tune in my head now, too. At least its not the Candyland tune.

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

oh that song is so stuck in my head and I'm at a boring conference all day, it will never go away!

Hmmm, I think I should trading in my librarian-ness for a job where I can follow people around and point out what they are doing wrong, I'd probably be good at it! :)

WDL said...

I point out what customers are doing wrong, all the time.

I kind of do that to everyone, but in a nice way - mostly by saying how I would do it, and then do it - so that they can't say "he's all talk" - cuz I'm not. I'm a lot action too.

That sounds hot.

xo,
WDL

Anonymous said...

Hee hee. I love the Inspector Director thing. Love it!