Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Because I'm Crazy, That's Why

So, I have been talked into attempting NaBloPoMo. Sounds kind of dirty, don't it? But it's not. At least not the way I'm going to do it.

So you've maybe heard that November is National Novel Writing Month, where crazy mofos attempt to write a novel in 30 days. Well, now bloggers have an equal opportunity to be crazy mofos. The purpose of National Blog Post Month (NaBloPoMo)is to post something, anything, for 30 days in a row. In doing this, "the hope is that the act of putting something of yourself out for the world to see every single day will make writing become a more fluid, natural, and integral part of your day." And hey, that sounds good, right? I know, you're thinking peanut butter and jelly in the same jar sounded good at first too. But I am willing to give this a try.

So, dear readers, I am going to try and post something every damn day for the month of November. Who knows what juicy tidbits may have to be pulled out of the recesses of my brain to fill the screen every day? I will write something, and if I absolutely can't bring myself to send out nonsensical gibberish into the world, then I will post photos. So you see, this will be fun! My writing will become ever more effervescent! And you will be here to witness it all! Or, I will crash and burn like Janice Dickinson on a bad day, but hey, that could be fun to watch too, right?People, including me, spend tons of time intaking all manner of crappisms for entertainment. So if I add to the crap heap, so be it.

So, to kick off my month of Posting Mania, a few comments about Halloween. First, sadly, our house had to be party-pooper-lights-off house last night because Nordic Boy dug up our front yard to re-pipe stuff so our water drainage would work better. That plus the fact that we have essentially no lighting anywhere past the front stoop, means that our yard is a recipe for tripped and maimed children. And although lining our front pathway with the crying, bleeding masses of kids in our neighborhood may be sufficient for a Halloween horror film, we decided maybe not so much with that. So lights off for us, and no trick-or-treaters.

And second, different work units around my library system took Halloween photos of their respective staff members in costume and shared them via email yesterday. The number of librarians who dressed as witches was astonishingly high. What can we, as a profession, read into this? Are witches something that many librarian-folk are drawn to, like funky glasses and office supplies? Any theories on the high proportion of witchy women in Halloween Libraryland?

Kiss the rings, I'm out.
Librarian Girl

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just witchy or Harry-Potter-Witchy? The latter seems to make more librarian sense to me.

Librarian Girl said...

Just your plain witch. Black dress, pointy hat, broom. No green faces or anything.

Darlene said...

Did you dress as a witch as well? Hmmm...no halloween at your house - did it get egged?

Librarian Girl said...

No, it was kind of shocking that no egging happened- I was kind of expecting it.

I did not wear a costume to work, so the only witchy-ness was just my regular self. :)

Jen Robinson said...

I went to work as Velma and the nice old volunteer said it was lovely of me to dress up as a pumpkin (I guess the orange sweater did it).

Desperate Housewife said...

Maybe the kids who went to egg your house fell in one of the ditches, and are still there right now.
God, I miss egging houses...good times!

Sphincter said...

I am a copy-pants and just made my own avatar at Yahoo. I didn't choose the same outfit, I swear.

Katie Kiekhaefer said...

Woah! I stop reading for a few days and all of a sudden there's four posts! I commend you for your effort, particularly since I can barely update every week. Can't wait to read on!