Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Neighbor J Rocks the House

This time around, it's Neighbor J's Birthday Shout-Out! Raise the roof, ya'll!

Neighbor J and I first met almost ten years ago, and soon after we were living next door to each other in our duplex that we lovingly called The Commune, since our friends were always over and Neighbor J and I shared everything. During one of the first times we ever hung out, I knew we were destined to be lifelong friends because of her deep and meaningful relationship with art and pop culture. It was a meeting of the minds, kiddies. We were having tea, and as she poured milk into her Earl Grey, she sang this eerie song. "Meelk, mee-ilk, meelk." Does anyone out there remember a short piece on Sesame Street in the 1970s that showed how milk got from the cow to the crying baby? It was all set to this freaky song, where this woman's infantilized voice sang "Meelk, mee-ilk, meelk." You probably don't know what the hay-ell I'm talking about, but the point is, Neighbor J just freaking SANG that song. And I TOTALLY knew what it was. And we had a twenty minute conversation about it right then and there. Thus, a friendship was born.

And so we lived, side by side in the Commune duplex, where I would watch "A Wedding Story" on TLC and yell through the wall "can you believe this crap?" and she would yell right back without missing a beat "oh my god, no!" We would shop together, eat dinner together outside on summery evenings, exercise together, have papermaking afternoons in our backyard. She always has the perfect pop culturey metaphor to make me laugh. Five years ago, when I was having some drama with a psycho with a terrible bowl haircut and a continually sour expression, she shook her head and said "what a Romulan." It was hilarious. Because he DID look like a Romulan. This other time she was the only one who stayed up with me until 2am one night, after a bunch of us had gathered to watch the "Seven Year Itch," because after that movie was over, "Love with a Proper Stranger" was on. And who can resist Steve McQueen and Natalie Wood talking about love and comparing it to Banjos and Bells? Well, apparently everyone could resist it but us.

Neighbor J and I have taken to calling ourselves Statler and Waldorf, because as soon as we start a-chatting, we are basically the peanut gallery of the world, with a comment for everything. We also call ourselves Alyssa and Blanche, which only will make sense to you if your knowledge of Little House on the Prairie extends into background characters and lost episodes. She's the only one I know who loves Doris Day as much as I do and she can channel Howard Keel singing "Bless Your Beautiful Hide" from Seven Brides for Seven Brothers like NOBODY'S business. And we have literally emailed each other pictures of cute outfits and shoes back and forth thirty times a day. She's one of those friends where you've talked so much, shared so much, that when you talk to each other you are basically speaking a secret language, all chock full of references that only the two of you can understand. And isn't it grand to have a friend like that? It's the definition of banjos and bells, being around this girl, truly.

Happy Meow Meow Birthday, Kitty Neighbor Meow.

Kiss the rings, I'm out.
Librarian Girl

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Meow Meow Thank You Meow. You made me mist up like Daniel Page in Silent Promises when Laura tells him they can't be together...you know what I'm talking about!!

WDL said...

oh my g-d. i forgot all about that song until right now.

the one that haunts my memory is "Me and My monkey go mmm mmm mmmm" - it's an animated piece about the letter M.

The other one is an antimated short about vegetables, where you are instructed "Don't put a carrot in your belly button" by some woman with an obvioulsy false british accent.

now I'm going to be thinking of meeeelk all day long. wah.

xo,
matthew

ps glad you rocked it out in chicago!

Librarian Girl said...

Neighbor!

Daniel Page and Laura! The love could be seen, but never heard...

Katie Kiekhaefer said...

Good lord, so I'm not the only one who remembers the melk, mi-ilk, melk song. You two give me hope that someday, I'll find someone who gets my random ass movie line quotes and pop culture references. Happy birthday Neighbor J!

WDL said...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9O-Q5vJ-GHk&search=Sesame%20Street%20%20


AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

and the other song is me and my llama.. not monkey!

Librarian Girl said...

Matthew, oh no you DIDN'T!!!!!

You have made my ENTIRE DAY with that clip!

WDL said...

oh yes I did.

give mama some sugar.

xo,
matthew

Desperate Housewife said...

Happy Birthday, Neighbor J!

Librarian Girl said...

You get ALLLLL the sugar, dear. I've already watched the thing twice.

Katie Kiekhaefer said...

Okay, this is slightly off topic but let me just say that the milk miiilk milk clip is DEFINITELY taking place in wisconsin (no doubt :)). Which reinforces my belief that happy cows DO NOT come from California.

Anonymous said...

OH DEAR! Matthew, whoever you are....thanks SO much for bringing that clip back into my life! Meelk..Me-ilk...milk!

Darlene said...

woo hoo! Happy Birthday, Neighbor J!!!!!