Monday, October 09, 2006

Birthday Vacation Proclamation

Ok, forget last week. Just forget it! That wasn't Birthday Week! I just can't let that be Birthday Week. Nothing that involves me being too sick to be able to eat the delicious peanut butter and chocolate cupcakes that Nordic Boy made for me can in any way be placed in the category of Acceptable Birthdayness. So just forget that.

THIS, my friends, is Birthday Week. My Birthday was on Saturday, and thus it was the Kick-Off for the goddamn metaphorical ticker tape parade that I need to have to celebrate Me. Yes, I am going to be all princessy. Me me me. Now gimme that cupcake.

In honor of Birthday Week, let me hearken back to former ages of yore and tell you some things I would have never believed about my Librarian Girl 2006 self.

1. When I was 7, I made a list proclaiming my future careers. According to this list, my adult-self should be a cashier at Meijer's Thrifty Acres, a waitress, a dancer, a movie star, and a superhero. Notice I said "and." Not "or." So the fact that I am none of these things, let alone all of them simultaneously, is a goal that has yet to be reached. Librarian figured nowhere in my childhood mind. Ah well.

2. When I was a teenager, I made a list proclaiming the must-have characteristics of the future dude who would be worthy of my lovitude. It was a long list, which I won't get into now because we just don't have all day. Let me just say that Nordic Boy measures up to my thirteen-year-old expectations pretty well. Except for the fact that he doesn't look like Michael Jackson. And I think we can all heave a sigh of relief that he doesn't.

3. When I was a senior in high school, I vowed to myself that I was going to live in a big city some day, preferably Chicago. (Are you getting the picture that my childhood was full of me sitting around making proclamations about my adulthood?) And although I do live in a big city, it didn't turn out to be Chicago.

However, in honor of my senior-in-high-school self, I will be spending Birthday Week in Chicago, running around town with my friends and acting like that 7 year old, that 13 year old, and that 18 year old. I will run around there like a crazed birthday princess. I will make much silliness, I will giggle profusely, and Chicago will embrace me in Birthday Love. This I proclaim to all of you.

Kiss the rings, I'm out.
Librarian Girl

6 comments:

Melinda said...

Ooh. Well if you have any spare time between bouts of Chicago birthday love, you should come by and hang with me and Cletus. Who doesn't want to kick back with some poopy diapers on a birthday vacation? Feel free to drop me an email: anythingsaid@hotmail.com

Katie Kiekhaefer said...

Oh my lord, he MADE you chocolate peanut butter cupcakes!? Yowza, that man is a keeper (even if he doesn't look like Michael Jackson)

Hope this birthday week treats you well! Happy Birthday!

WDL said...

you should try M. Henry's in Andersonville for breakfast one morning... its like 5300 North Clark... the food is soo good.

Or for more down home fare, tray Paulines on Balmoral & Ravenswood. Its Mom & Pop kitch, with mixed Fiesta ware on the table! Hurrah for your birthday.

Mine: I hide. I'm positive I'm not aging gracefully & I know my hair is falling out.

Behave yourself.

xo,
Matthew

Anonymous said...

Here's wishing you have an excellent birthday week in Chicago!!! I will be leaving this lovely city tomorrow to visit Leah in Madison or I would suggest some birthday cocktails. :) Hope it doesn't snow! May I jump on the suggestion bandwagon and suggest checking out Orange (Clark and Belmont) for brunch? It's delicious. Have fun!

liz said...

happy birthday...and hope you're having a great time in chi-town!
And glad to hear you're feeling much better.
did you get to hang with melinda and cletus? i am so jealous of bloggers who get to meet in real life!

Darlene said...

Happy Birthday! wow - you made lists too?? My husband pretty much fulfills my list as well, except he isn't a jillionaire. My career goal, though, was to be the personal photographer for Duran Duran...It even says so in my yearbook.