Monday, April 17, 2006

Birthday Cuz

Today's birthday shout-out is for my cousin R. She's not just my cousin, she is my all-time favorite, most special, rockin'-est fabu cousin. And that is saying something because I have, like, a bajillion first cousins. So it's not like best out of three or something lame like that. She's gorgeous, fun, talented, smart, and stylin'. And best of all, hi-larious.

One time she flew out to visit me during a spring break from college, and between all the running around that we did together, we spent an evening watching a bunch of tv in our pajamas. This particular year, there was a VW car commercial that was airing that had that Geggy Tah song on it that went: "All I wanna do is to thank you, even though I don't know who you are, you let me change lanes, when I was driving in my car..." It's kind of an annoying song. And for some reason, that night, it was on the heaviest rotation on the planet. It played every commercial break, sometimes twice, until I was on the verge of conniption. However, during one of the times it played, R started to tap her foot and nod her head along with the song. That's cute, I thought to myself, she's feeling the song. The next time it played, she hummed along, giving me a sidelong glance. By the fourth or fifth time, she sang softly along, looking at me with a serene smile. The next time it played, I sang it with her. And people, by the end of the night, we were just WAITING for that commercial to play each time, because we were seriously belting it OUT. Both of us, sofa dancing, pajama-wearing fools, channeling old Geggy and not caring if the neighbors heard us. "ALL I WANNA DO IS TO THANK YOU, EVEN THOUGH I DON'T KNOW WHO YOU ARE..."

This is the kind of chick my cousin is. She will take an annoying situation and turn it into a funfest no matter what happens. This is an awesome quality to have in any situation, but to have her around in family-type-situations, where annoying, endearing, confusing, surreal things happen often, is a life-saver. You know how Holly Hunter and Robert Downey Jr. get through Thanksgiving together with their crazy family just by sticking together? That's us. And I love her like crazy. Happy birthday, cousin. Kiss kiss.

Kiss the rings, I'm out.
Librarian Girl

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok first of all I wrote a comment on the wrong blog, looks like age is affecting my thought proccesses already. This is the nicest thing that anyone has ever said about me!!!! Reading it totally made my day :)
ps. I dont understand why they dont play that song anymore, it was clearly a hit with us:)

Librarian Girl said...

We rocked that song! I don't really have "a song" with anyone else, but I definitely consider that OUR song.