Thursday, October 20, 2011

I seriously did NOT just do that

Hey you guys, I figured out how to make my heart stop and my stomach feel barfy and horrible, just from stress! Want to hear about it?


I have many potential stressors in my life, as does everyone. Lucky for me, I don't have a stressy constitution, just naturally. The daily stuff like bad traffic or rude people or getting a bad night's sleep? Piece of cake. The things that cause me the most stress in my life are the Biggies. Like when I was pretty sure that I was going to get laid off last year. But the stress of that sort of thing was not a heart-pounding, barfy sort of stress. I think it was because that shit (waiting for the news) went on and on and on, for months. I just couldn't sustain barfy for that long. The stress was more an impending sense of doom in the back of my mind at all times. Still stressful and probably not healthy, but I never felt like I was going to pass out or anything. Same with family members going through Big Health stuff. Again, it goes on for months and sometimes years, so the stress gets stretched out.

So this morning I was getting ready for work, and all of a sudden I had this thought: where the mothereffer is my new camera? My gorgeous, lovely, brand new, super expensive very generous gift that I got not two weeks ago?

And I looked around, and didn't see it, and then the barfy feelings became SERIOUS, y'all. I mean, really. It was ACUTE PUKEY.

I asked Nordic Boy if he'd seen it. He said nope. Then we proceeded to tear our house apart. It was like a police raid up in there. I went outside in my pajamas and looked in the trunk of my car. We looked in every closet, every room, every shelf.

Here's the thing about my house. It's small. And we don't have very much stuff. Which means that it's kind of impossible to misplace things. If it's not pretty much immediately apparent, then it's just not there.

MY CAMERA IS JUST NOT THERE PEOPLE.

I retraced my steps. Tried to remember the last time I took it out. Tried not to think about the fact that Nordic Boy and my parents forked over a lot of scratch for something that I promptly lost in a matter of days.

Here is my recipe for panic: an extravagant item, bought by other people, for me, a bonafide cheapskate, and I misplace it. TORTURE.

I know I had it in my house on Saturday night. And I think I took it with me to a restaurant on Sunday. I'm calling the restaurant when it opens today and PLEASE BABY JEBUS make my camera be there. Because if I really truly lost that thing?

OY.

5 comments:

Jan Ross said...

Your friends were just there, right? Surely you did all kinds of things with them? Maybe you left it at one of those places...good luck.

Anonymous said...

I hate the feeling when something valuable is suddenly nowhere - just vanished and you realize it all of a sudden and start rooting around like crazy. I think the terror/panic is a sensation that things are out of control in more ways than one. As if losing that thing is the tip of the scary iceberg of out of controlness.It's a sweaty feeling. Hope you reunite with your camera soon if you haven't found it already.

Claire said...

Eeeeep!

Ali said...

Did you find it?

Marty J. Christopher said...

I'm glad to see you got your camera back. I did this exact same thing a few years ago. I didn't realize until almost a week later and by then, it was too late. I think I left it in a cab. It sucked the big one. I had all the pictures from my mother's 70th bday on there and also a friend's trip to Chicago. Such a huge bummer. On the plus side, it made me discover this great idea for a website:

http://www.ifoundyourcamera.net/