Thursday, March 02, 2006

I Belong...

There are a lot of theories about what makes something cool. There are cool hunters hired by big corporations that troll the streets (yes I said troll) to figure out the next big thing. Ever read Westerfeld's So Yesterday? That's what I'm talking about. Eddie Izzard has this bit where he talks about the cycle of cool. His theory is that anything that is at the bottom of the cool scale can get to such a level of uncoolness that it rounds a corner somewhere and automatically becomes the height of cool. Well people, today I turned that corner.

I was walking through the work room in Libraryland, and the folks who work their knickers off back there (Hercules! Hercules!) were trucking along as usual. They had a radio playing back there, and what should be coming out of the speakers but "You Belong to the City."

Me: "Wow, this takes me back to middle school."
One of the high school students who works as a shelver here: "What is this?"
Me: "It's Glenn Frey. It's from that show Miami Vice. Guess I just dated myself by knowing that, didn't I?"
High school dude: (in an awed tone) "That is so...awesome that you know that."
Me: "It is??"
Him: (looking at me with new respect) "Yeah."

Knowing geeky music that I wouldn't have copped to in high school is finally paying off. Forget Postal Service, Thievery Corporation, and Arcade Fire. Glenn Frey is what the kids want!

Kiss the rings, I'm out.
Librarian Girl

4 comments:

Josh said...

A few weeks ago I was texting someone about where we should go get a drink. "I can't come up with anything!" they told me. "The heat is on! It's on the street!" I texted back. They didn't get the reference, but I know you will.

Lisa said...

Hey! Now that song is stuck in my head!

What if I told you that I heard the theme from "Ghostbusters" on our "play anything" radio station last ngiht?

Lisa said...

I forgot to say that So Yesterday is a great read. I read Malcolm Gladwell's New Yorker article on cool hunting when it came out in '97. Meeting fictional characters in the field was awesome. And then I lead our public lib's book discussion on The Tipping Point last month. The article is worth digging up if you liked So Yesterday.

Anonymous said...

Somebody gave me the Miami Vice soundtrack for my birthday in 8th grade. Was it you?