Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Consumables #39

Here's what my brain et lately.

Books!


Lost and Found, by Shaun Tan
I adore Shaun Tan. The end.

Emily, Alone by Stewart O'Nan
Character study to the max. Emily is a widow who spends her days thinking about her life and her death, hanging with her beloved dog, meeting up with her pal Arlene for buffet, and keeping contact with her kids and grandkids. I like how kind O'Nan is to his characters, and how Emily is a person who spends most of her time alone, but isn't lonely.

The Sexy Book of Sexy Sex, by Kristen Schaal and Rich Blomquist
I didn't quite know what this book was going to be, and I still don't.

Movies!

Eyes of Tammy Faye
Documentary about Tammy Faye. I thought it was sad, on a lot of levels. Yes, it was campy too, but mostly sad.

Agora
Sound editing drove me crackers on this. Either the characters were whispering (volume up, turn it up!) or mobs were screaming (ahhh! turn it down! down!). Every five seconds. I had to stop watching because I was having thumb-on-remote fatigue.

Fast Runner
I love this movie. Love, love, love.
TV!

Dancing with the Stars
I'm going to tell you a little secret. I keep my eyes glued to the professionals for this show, not the stars. It's sort of like watching with half a brain, or with one eye shut. I just block out Ralph Macchio or Kirstie Alley and focus on the dancers. And I also lean heavily on the fast forward button. Really I think I probably watch about 10 full minutes of an hour long show.

Music!

Pat Benatar's Love is a Battlefield came on when we were making dinner the other night. After a few moments of silence, this was said.
 
Nordic Boy: I really love this song.
Me: Me too!
Nordic Boy: Like, not ironically. I just really love it, for real.
Me: (with relief) ME TOO.
Nordic Boy: (nodding thoughtfully) I'm glad we've had this moment.
Me: Me too.
 

No comments: