I do it almost every year, so here it is again...
1. What did you do in 2010 that you'd never done before?
I got laid off. (I know I never told you guys about that, but don't worry, I'm ok, I have a different but similar job to what I had before, with the same library system).
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
None last year, and sort of for this year. I had to make them about not changing stuff, instead of changing stuff, because I am ornery like that.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes! My favorite librarian friend, Ol' Soggypants (aka The Soggy Librarian). Also, some other friends too. Yay bebes!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No. This has been the first year in a few years that I've been able to say no to that question. I hope it's the beginning of a good streak.
5. What countries did you visit?
Leavenworth. Hey, anywhere that boasts that much lederhosen is a foreign country as far as I am concerned.
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
Less work stress. There is a little voice in my mind saying "fat chance, lady!" but I am ignoring that voice.
7. What date from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
That getting laid off day was a doozie. Also, my birthday, both because it was my birthday which was full of fun stuff, and also because my dad went back to the hospital that day, and I found out about my new job that day, which is sort of the perfect metaphor for my life. Big happy stuff, and big sad stuff all mixed together for me to figure out.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I felt like I got through some sticky work days with my integrity still in tact. (I am sort of hating the fact that work is figuring so largely into this list. Not like me at all, goddamn 2010).
9. What was your biggest failure?
I want to be a dick about the word "failure," but instead I will play nice and answer the question. I tried to be there for a friend, and that friend was totally not receptive, and so I let go of it, and I felt like a failure for that one for a while. But then I realized that sometimes not being there for someone is actually being there for someone, because if that's what they need from you, then there you go. See how I rationalize things?
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nope. I was healthy this year, which I'm super thankful for.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Sad to say it was the poop pipe replacement, because poop transport is super important. On a more fun note, my tickets to see plays and dance shows and art shows were definitely my favorite.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Biogirl, for getting a new job and a new place to live. Way to get it done, lady. Also, Nordic Boy, just because of his unrelenting daily awesomeness. Consistent guy, he is.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Shit, I don't even want to talk about it.
14. Where did most of your money go?
I can't believe the poop pipe is being mentioned again! Those things are super expensive, man.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The fact that Biogirl moved in down the street from me! In fact, just thinking about it I have to say eeeeee! all over again. Also, visiting my folks, Nordic Boy's folks, Alli and Chris, and seeing Map. Also, still having a job was not so much exciting but a relief the size of planet earth.
16. What song will always remind you of 2010?
I'll save that til the end of the list.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
- happier or sadder? both
- richer or poorer? richer, I think, but just by a little
- thinner or fatter? the same (and I can't tell you how much I think that question is fucked up)
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
I had a ton of fun this year, but I wish I'd had even more. Greedy bastard.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
20. How did you spend the holidays?
Equal parts at home having cozy times with Nordic Boy and visiting with various friends. Good stuff.
21. Did you fall in love in 2010?
I've been in freefall for some time now.
22. How many one-night stands?
None. God, one-night stands were the worst. Who ever thought that was a good idea? I was a dumb young lady.
23. What was your favorite TV program?
The Daily Show/Colbert Report. And So You Think You Can Dance. Oh shut up, you watch dumb tv too.
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I can only think of one person that I truly can say I hate. And I have hated them for a few years. Unfortunately, I think that the hatred levels might have gone up a little this year.
25. What was the best book you read?
Looking over my list of things read this year, there were very few things that rocked my world. I must have just picked poorly. However, I loved Tales from Outer Suburbia, by Shaun Tan. Not published in 2010, but still, it was new to me.
26. What was your favorite film of this year?
Hard one! I liked The King's Speech, and I Am Love, and Herb and Dorothy, and The American. Oh I don't know what my favorite was.
27. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
Just me being me. I like to dress up.
28 Whom did you miss?
The usual suspects: my folks, my many faraway loved ones.
29. Who was the best new person you met?
To be literal about the term "new person," The Soggy Librarian's little munchkin is pretty awesome.
30. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
Sometimes you just have to let people be. Let them be sad, or assholey, or absent, or jagoffs, or flakey. It doesn't matter how there for them you want to be, or how good your reasons are for wanting things to be different. Sometimes what you want just doesn't matter. That's what I learned this year. That sounds way more depressing than it really is. Learning it actually has made me feel better about stuff. Go figure.
Almost forgot #16. This is the song that reminds me of this year.
I do it almost every year, so here it is again...
- ► 2013 (65)
- ► 2012 (84)
- ▼ 2011 (129)
- ► 2010 (181)
- ► 2009 (122)
- ► 2008 (116)
- ► 2007 (124)
- ► 2006 (121)
Librarianwonder.blogspot.com by Pop Culture Librarian is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.