Thursday, August 17, 2006

Flipped My Lid

All my life, I've found going to the eye doctor kind of creepy. It's the darkened room, the stranger all up in your face. It's weird. I don't know why the eye doctor is the one that specifically wigs me out, since any type of doctor is pretty much inside of one's dancing space. (Remember Johnny in Dirty Dancing? "This is my dance space. This is your dance space. I don't go into yours, you don't go into mine.") Doctors can't heed the sage words of Mr. Castle. They are supposed to get in your space. Dentists are all in your mouth and stuff, but yet, I'm comfortable with that. And other types of doctors, who tend to make you wear those buttless paper outfits (now THAT should be a Project Runway challenge: "make a better looking disposable paper hospital gown. Carry on!"), you'd think that would be the creepiest form of doctory going. But no. For me, it's the eye doctor. Maybe it's the lighting. Other doctors' offices keep the lighting harsh and bright, clinical to the max. Eye doctors, though. They get you with that mood lighting. The lights go down and you half expect a record player to pop out of the wall and a wet bar to flip out of the counter, like Rock Hudson's apartment in Pillow Talk. Or at least that's what you expect if you're me, and you think that life could turn into a Doris Day movie at any moment.

When I was growing up, I had this eye doctor who was perfectly nice, but he used to wear this head gear thing that had a light on it. Like a miner. So there I am, a little kid, sort of scared of strangers, and there's this guy who looks like he's half Borg or something, looming over me. The other thing I remember about him is that when he was up close to me, I could hear him breathing, and he always had a sort of whistling sound that came out of his nose. I almost expected a tumbleweed to drift out of there.

My other memorable eye doctor was one that Neighbor J and I went to, who we dubbed The Lid Flipper. He was a socially awkward man, who made stale jokes and never could pronounce my name right. The awfulness about him was that he would do this thing where he would check the inside of your eyelids. I have never, before or since, had any eye doctor do this. He would take this long Q-Tip, tell you to look down, and press the cotton end of the Q-tip onto your upper eyelid, and FLIP IT INSIDE OUT. Remember how there was always some weird little boy in elementary school who could flip their eyelids inside out? Well, this one grew up to be an eye doctor, and he's doing it to his patients. Lemme tell ya, it don't feel so good. It burns, actually. And of course, when you're at the doctor, you just try to go with whatever hellish thing they are putting you through, instead of yelling out "what the fuck are you doing flipping my eyelids inside out? You getting your jollies offa this, Lid Flipper?"

So, after a few sessions with the Lid Flipper and a change of health insurance, I found a new eye doctor. Just picked his name out of my insurance book (such a great thing, our health care system). Well, people, I hit the jackpot with this one. I now have, what I am sure is THE BEST EYE DOCTOR EVER. I love him. He's nice, he's funny, he makes such lovely, witty conversation. It's like you're hanging out with a friend, only-- oh yeah-- he's checking your eyes too. He's always so pally, asking me about the librarian business, so happy to see me, and we often talk lovingly of Chicago, where we both used to live. We have, like, these real conversations that are actually entertaining. So now, I look forward to going to my eye doctor.

Ok, you got me. I confess. In addition to all of the above, he's also, um, well, how shall I put this...he's hawt. Yes indeedy, I have me some eye candy for my eye doctor. Believe me, there is no impropriety involved, but...sigh...he's foxy. So, there I am, a life-long creeped-out-by-the-eye-doctor girlie, and, well, I'm not minding the dimmed lights quite so much. Sure, go ahead, be all up in my space. I suddenly don't have a problem with that. In fact, I sit there and think up funny things that I could say...

Him: Could you read the last line on this chart please?
Me: U R H-O-T.
Him: What?
Me: Oh. I mean... I M O-V-E-R-H-E-A-T-I-N-G.
Him: Oh no.
Me: Oops, sorry. Did I say that out loud?

Ok, so maybe going to the eye doctor is still creepy. Only now the tables have turned on the source of the creepyness.

Kiss the rings, I'm out.
Librarian Girl

11 comments:

Darlene said...

hahahahah That is way too funny! My eye doctor has a the most hypnotic voice - When he says, "Number 1 or number 2? Number 2 or number 3?", you feel like you're going into a trance.. Did you ever read the line in the chart that says R-U-M-A-R-R-I-E-D? hahahah

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I had the biggest crush on my eye doctor when I lived in the land of corn. He was slightly shy and just dreamy. He would dim the lights to check my retinas and my heart would be knockin. I once came in and he said "wait here!" and ran to the back where he ripped an article out of his New England Journal of Medicine that was about a topic in my field that we discussed 6 months earlier. Sigh. After seeing him (for eye exams only) for years I learned his wife had a very public affair and they were getting divorced. I scheduled my exam immediately. Alas, he was too professional and heartbroken to do more than check for glaucoma. And then I had to go and move out of the state. Enjoy your doctor!

Anonymous said...

I heart the Project Runway idea! Angela's paper gown would be able to be button closed in the ass with those stupid rosettes she always makes.

And - I had a miner eye doctor too when I was growing up! And have a hawt one now :)

Desperate Housewife said...

This is really gross, but when I was a kid, my dentist had terrible dandruff in his eyebrows. So you'd be sitting there with your mouth wide open, hoping nothing would fall in. Eewwww!

Librarian Girl said...

THAT IS TOTALLY SICCCCK, d.h.!

Josh said...

I always wanted to be an eye doctor, just so I could say, "Better like this or better like this? Better like this or better like this?"

And then I could start doing that in the bedroom and women couldn't get mad cause I'd be like, "But I'm an eyedoctor!" and they'd sigh and go, "Alright, fine. Let's just get this over with."

...Even in my fantasies women really aren't that thrilled to be with me. But at least they put up with it.

Anonymous said...

Does the hottie eyeball doc do that hideous test where a puff of air gets shot into your eye? I think I would rather go blind than endure the puff of air test.

Katie Kiekhaefer said...

Whenever my former eye doctor would do the scary up in your face thing with the flashlight, I would have to concentrate sooooo much to keep from nervously laughing mainly because he was very slow and methodical (thus him being in my face for way longer than is comfortable) and because he breathed heavily, right on my face. Eww. He also took FOR-EV-ER to do the poof in the eye thing, which would would also turn me into a giggly nervous wreck waiting for the inevitable.

Luckily, my new eye doctor does the poof test quickly and efficiently and does not breathe on my face while playing with the flashlight. However, sadly she is not a hot guy.

Katie Kiekhaefer said...

Oh and I loooooved the Pillow Talk reference--*sigh* if my eye doctor looked like Rock Hudson, he could flip my lids anytime.

Katie Kiekhaefer said...

Oh and I loooooved the Pillow Talk reference--*sigh* if my eye doctor looked like Rock Hudson, he could flip my lids anytime.

Kare said...

Darlene and I have the same eye doctor. He is very hypnotic. Totally makes me sleepy.
Flipping your lid out is just whacked. I wouldn't even let Nick Lachey flip my lids. And I'd pretty much let Nick Lachey do anything to me.