Friday, October 05, 2012

Birthday

My birthday is this weekend, and I gotta say, I am feeling super good about the birthday this year. Like, not just an excited birthday feeling because I have a lot of things planned (which I am because I do), but a bigger, better birthday feeling. I know that birthdays are sort of meaningless, really- I mean we are aging all the time and so marking a particular day and feeling like we are all of a sudden older on that day is sort of weird when you think about it. But birthdays are a time to look around at one's life, and take stock, and think about how things are going. And for me, this week, I have been feeling good, just deep down in my soul. 2011 was, in a way, about letting go of 2 people that I was trying to keep in my life who- when I really took a look at the truth of it-didn't really want to be there. So I let them go, and it was really, really sad, and I was sort of preoccupied a lot of the time with the fact that those people were missing. 2 core people who had kind of always been there for me for years and years and years, were just gone. Even though I didn't wallow, I did sort of feel like it was in the back of my mind a lot of the time. It was like I was walking around with these ghosts of people who I loved so much that just didn't love me back. It was hard to eat that, but eat it I did. I kind of didn't have a choice, I guess. I have to say that as hard as it was, I took it like a champ, which is something.

This past year though, I feel like that phase is finally passing, and just in the past month or so it really feels different. I just feel... better. More than better. I feel really good. I think the ghosts are- if not gone- then at least they don't live with me all the time now.

Last night, Nordic Boy was doing the dishes, and I was reading a book, and the new Tegan and Sara song came on, and Nordic Boy came out of the kitchen swinging a dish towel around in that silly way of his, and pulled me out of my chair, hit "repeat" and we danced. We laughed, and jumped, and Saturday-Night-Fevered, and dipped, and were breathless, and just got our boogie on in our living room, and I thought to myself, yay for me. I am still loved, and I'm not even talking about that gorgeous Nordic Boy of mine. I'm talking about me. I heard my own laugh and I felt my body moving around and I felt the parts of my soul that are still open to things, to people, to fun, to life, and I thought: ah, yes, now I remember.  I am kind of awesome. I really love being me. Look at that girl, I thought to myself. She pretty much rocks it. I love her.

Go dance around and think about how awesome you are. It's really so necessary, you guys.


6 comments:

R said...

Listen to yourself, you know what is up! You are awesome and deserve only the best.

Claire said...

Happy birthday to you! Have an awesome day x

Kathleen said...

Happy Birthday!
I love your attitude towards your birthday, well, because it mirrors my own. As I get older, I find that others try to make me feel bad about this attitude, that it's childish to place any importance on the day, want to do something special-even if it's just to take the day off from work-for my birthday. I love to take a moment around my birthday to step back and reflect, a sort of personal New Year's Day in a way.

Jill said...

Happy Birthday!

Friendships ebb and flow. Maybe thins are just ebbing with these two for now.

I hope you have a wonderful impromptu dance-filled day.

Katie K said...

A very, very happy birthday to you--this is wonderful to read and yes, fine, I'm tearing up. You deserve such nice things and I'm glad that you have them.

I have a birthday coming up in November; I might need to come back and re-read this as a reminder.

cadiz12 said...

happy belated! what a beautiful thing, to be loved by him and by yourself.