Thursday, February 23, 2012

Three Day Weekends: I vote yes.


I tend to be a bit holiday-challenged anyway, but when President's Day rolls around, I really don't know what I am supposed to do with myself. It seems to me that President's Day revolves around lots of mattress sales. At least that's what the medias tell me. There are lots of announcer type people yelling that mattresses are on sale, which I guess relates to presidents because we're also pretty obsessed with where they all slept, right? Washington slept here, Lincoln slept here. We don't seem to note the location where they ate a particularly good meatloaf or anything like that. It's sleeping localities that are important. And so maybe that's why we're supposed to commemorate the prezzes past by mattress shopping.
Or something.
I did not do any mattress shopping this weekend, since I am all mattressed up at my house already, but I did have a pretty dang nice three days. Nordic Boy had a cold, which was a total bummer because he missed out on every last fun thing we did, and I feel bad about that, but I am not gonna lie I had a fan-frigging-tastic time regardless. First of all I went to a super delectable wedding whereby two of my favorite people thereto plighted their troths to each other. And although I am the last person to really understand weddings and how they should be or are done (really, if weddings were American Idol I would be Paula on the panel, spouting off gibberish about floating in a rainbow puff of foggy love or whatever), this one to my eye was pretty damn awesome. The wedding was sweet, smart, funny, delightful, just like the two of them.

And just as important, the music they played for post-nuptial dancing was right on the money. This is, in my opinion, the most important part of the whole thing. I gots to get my jig on, y'all.


An aside. There was this one time, I went to a wedding and Biogirl was one of the bridesmaids, and she got her hair did for the big event. She had this updo situation going on and she went all day, through the pre-wedding stuff, wedding, post wedding dancing until the wee hours, and her hair was perfect the entire time. Not even a little messed up at all. At the end of the night she was at my house and she started pulling bobby pins out of her head and I swear to you her hair could have stayed in the updo without any pins at all, there was so much product in it. Well, before the wedding that I went to this weekend, I stopped in at my local blow dry bar and got a quick blowout. The lady asked me if I was doing anything that night and when I told her I was going to a wedding, she whipped out the hairspray and gel and whatever other Harry Potter potion she had and did that same magic shit. I woke up the next morning and my hair looked like I had just walked out of the salon. I mean it was positively creepy. Is saying the word "wedding" to your stylist some sort of secret code that gets you ten pounds of shit put on your skull such that your hair will take on an unearthly permanence? I am thinking yes.
Anyway, the other highlight of the weekend was meeting up with my lovely friend k8 and her man, plus some other friends that I have wanted to hang out with for a while, but somehow I never do. I never see k8 as much as I would like either. Do you have people in your life that you wish you saw more of but it just doesn't seem to happen? Here's my advice: make it happen, dudes. I always seem to forget this, and then have to re-remember it. Instead of thinking "I wish I saw that k8 more often," how about I ask her to do something? EUREKA! What a super genius I am, all Wile E. Coyote style, only with less TNT.
The rest of my weekend I spent in my pajamas (in sickie solidarity with the sneezy Nordic Boy), reading books and watching movies. Aw sooky sooky now.





No comments: