Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Crazy in love

It's the morning before Thanksgiving, and I am gearing up for work. I never know what the holidays are going to do when it comes to libraries. Sometimes, it can make people extra cheery and they will smile at you more and thank you more for what you are doing for them. Other times, it can make people become a collective ball of wrath. So, I am always a little cautious at work during the holidays. People of Seattle, are you going to be pearly white smiles like the Osmond family or are you going to be crazy-eyed freaks like Bride of Chucky? These are the pre-Thanksgiving wonderings that I deal with.

Something you should know about me and how I roll. When I come home from work, Nordic Boy is usually home already. And when I walk in the door, we have this weird habit of having a big ass party for about two minutes as soon as I walk in the door. It is like we are a couple of dogs or something. You know how dogs greet you like they haven't seen you in eleventy years even when you just saw them a few hours ago? That's us. (This is making me think of that part in When Harry Met Sally when Meg Ryan says, "Is one of us supposed to be a DOG in this scenario?" But what I'm saying isn't so insulting because we're both the dog in this scenario. Plus, dogs rock so I'm standing by my dog comparison).

Anyway. When I get home, there is dancing. There is singing of silly songs. There is parade marching. We celebrate the reunion. Every day. I don't know who started this, but it just comes out, naturally. We mix up the style a bit. It could be vaudeville, it could be opera, it could be a rap of some sort. Whatever moves us at the time.

The other day, I walked in the door after 8 long hours of dealing with Bride of Chucky wrath with nary a pearly Osmond smile to be found. When I walked in, Nordic Boy stood up and started to jig.

Him: (singing) You're home! You're home! I'm dancing like a gnome!
Me: Stop.
Him: What? I'm dancing! You're home! It's exciting!
Me: I just...you have to...I can't....
Him: What's going on?
Me: I saw so much crazy today. SO MUCH CRAZY. We can't be crazy at home today. It's too much.
Him: Wow, that's a lot of crazy.
Me: Yeah.
Him: I mean, to out-crazy the gnome dance is pretty dang crazy.
Me: You have no idea.
Him: I'm kind of jealous that you're getting your crazy from someone else.
Me: I wish I could be monogamous with the crazy. But everyone else wants to give me the crazy too.
Him: No one else has given you the gnome dance yet, have they?
Me: Not yet.
Him: Well, that's something.

I'm out,
Librarian Girl

7 comments:

modest-goddess said...

When I first get home from work I do a little dance in the kitchen and sing to my cats, usually an R&B song with the word "cat" substituted in for love. I'm single so maybe one day I'll meet my happy to be home dancing mate.

Brown Sugar said...

You and NB quite the crazy :) But very cute.

Sphincter said...

Nobody knows the crazy that librarians see. Nobody but us truly understands.

Rachel said...

so sweet!

When I come home from work it's usually my ritual to stand by the door until Logan peeks out his head from the bedroom with a crazy/psycho facial expression.

Claire said...

We don't have the Thanksgiving excuse here in UK libraryland. But we certainly have the crazy. And it sucks. Big stylee. PAH to the crazy, may you all stay away til the New Year!

Desperate Housewife said...

I happy dance when I'm eating something really awesome. Last weekend my five year old and I shared the most incredible chocolate-and-caramel covered apple decorated with gummy bears. It was so good I turned on the Bee Gees and we both danced around the kitchen.

dharmamama said...

You guys *rock*. I'm so happy you have each other!