Friday, September 01, 2006

Chip Tip

Do you know someone who seems to be universally loved? Someone who, every time their name is mentioned, the chorus around the room erupts in comments like this: “she’s so great,” and “oh, I love her,” or “she’s the cat’s pajamas with extra chips.” I do, and it’s well deserved. This person IS the cat’s pajamas with extra chips. Then there are other people, who, although maybe not universally loved, are highly thought of amongst a chosen few. I know those types of people as well, as when I name drop them I hear The Love emanating from at least few people around me, without fail.

This got me to thinking-- do the Loved even know about the feelings of the Lovers? Is the Loved walking around in her life, thinking she is just a run-of-the-mill somebody, with no extra chips whatsoever? Perhaps the Loved is YOU. Can you have extra chips this WHOLE TIME and not even know that you have them? I think you definitely can. Check your pockets, immediately. I think it’s a sad, sorry shame if you have surprise chips. Why can we not tell the people who we think are great, how great we think they are? Why just talk about them behind their backs, like a drrrrty secret?

I can understand if you’re too shy to do that--because, let’s face it, it may be kind of awkward and stalkeresque to lean into your friends’ faces and say “you’re so great. You’re a fabulous, gorgeous piece of human, you are”--unless you’re friends with Arthur Fonzerelli, who is used to such adoration and loves it as much as Shirley Feeney loved Boo Boo Kitty. (Hey look at that, a pop culture reference WITHIN a pop culture reference. I’m like layers of a fucked up onion, I tell you). But if you ARE too shy, how about passing along the sentiments of another Lover to the Loved. Be a Messenger of Extra Chips. Just point out that the person is in possession of said chips, vis-a-vis a comment you heard from another. Like this: “hey, I ran into Charo yesterday. Your name came up and she was talking about how lovely you are.” (And, wow, how awesome would it be if CHARO thought you were lovely?) If we all did this a little more, people would become aware of their chips. And you may discover that you have some yourself. So go on, do it. But if Charo does that creepy Cuchi Cuchi thing when you talk to her, keep that part to yourself.

Kiss the rings, I’m out.
Librarian Girl

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think YOU are quite lovely. And I don't even know you.

Anonymous said...

I also think that you are lovely (or rather must be lovely, as I don't know you), and that this was a lovely post. In fact, it was just what I needed today. Thanks, from a fellow librarian.

Librarian Girl said...

Oh! Methinks me found me chips!

Isabelle Fetherston said...

I really enjoyed this post. I think you have a great idea about letting people know that they are liked and appreciated. The world needs more kindness!

french panic said...

Agreed. Have some more chips, please. If your blog (which I obsessively check daily, for obvious reasons that any regular reader knows) is any indication of who you truly are, damn. You must be drowning in chips.

Melinda said...

Hey - I'm over here throwing some more chips at you, along with a stylish fanny-pack to put them in.

Librarian Girl said...

Stylish fanny pack??? Ha ha ha ha ha hahahaha!

WDL said...

Exactly. Girl, I do this all the time. Go the extra mile, and make their day as good as they've made yours.

AND I love Charo. The new car insurance commercial with her in it makes me laugh every time.

Feliz dias,

matthew

Katie Kiekhaefer said...

My finest "chip moment" came on Friday, at the SLIS Pub Crawl, when I spent a good ten minutes drunkenly gushing about my former co-worker to the first year manbrarian who has my old job. It was filled with chip-i-ness but I think I went overboard. Oh well, love is love.