Monday, July 10, 2006

Rejuvenile

Am I a Rejuvenile? Let's consider the evidence. I pay my taxes on time, don't let my dishes pile up in the sink, eat dinner at my dining table with real plates and silverware, and I don't sleep past 8am but about once a month. I love broccoli and can find a dessert "too sweet." I don't bite my nails and I read the articles in the paper, but hardly ever the comic strips. I now even have a mortgage, and the need to "catch up on some yard work." Sounds pretty grown-up, right?

Well, maybe not. I think that perhaps I am, at heart, a young one. I'm not talking about Nigel Planer and his ilk. Wow, I just used a Young Ones reference and the word "ilk" in the same breath. I guess I even confuse myself when it comes to adult-town and teen-ville, especially when I have to choose which place I want to hang my hat. Or my skateboard. I suppose I commute from one to the other, and there's really nothing truly wrong with that, is there? I can still rock out to some Sleater Kinney but secretly think that it can be a bit LOUD sometimes. It's just how I roll.

Oh, who am I kidding. This whole post is just a fancy-dance way to tell ya'll about my kick ass kickball team. The Is-Librarian-Girl-a-Rejuvenile debate will cease here immediately. I am on a kickball team. In a league. Pass the Peter Pan Pixie Dust.

So, last night the K-ball team showed up with limber toes ready for kickin'. We made such a valiant effort, I can't even tell you. We started out strong, with Jenny getting on base with a powerful grounder into left field. Then Nordic Boy got up to the plate and pounded it out into the far outfield, and both he and Jenny rounded those bases and brought it all home. First time out, and we are up two runs. Delicious. I felt bad for the other team, who almost had to forfeit due to lack of players. They squeaked through with a minimum of 7 people, and I felt like we overwhelmed them with sheer numbers. It's the kickball deluge, dudes. We are swarming all OVER you!

Well, the swarm didn't last long, because they were hungry. Despite some heroic plays on our part (including Nordic Boy turning a full somersault after catching the ball in mid-air, like some kind of kickball Pele), this other team started to cream us. Whipped, frothy, Cool Whip cream. No matter. We forged on. I'll say this for our team. We are not ones who want to walk to the bases by balling each pitch. We do not want to let those puppies go by. What's the name of the game, after all? Are we here to kick or not? Our team, whenever given the chance, even when the ball wasn't rolling exactly over the plate, friggin' WENT FOR IT. It was awesome. Timid little peonies, we are not.

On the car ride home, Nordic Boy and I talked about how much fun we had, and that everyone else seemed to have a blast too. "Too bad we lost, though," I started to say. "Oh no," he replied in that zen way he has. "Losing is much more...noble."

Just when I think to myself what an adult thing to say, he adds: "plus, our team was way more BALLS OUT!"

Rejuvenile. Hells yeah.

Kiss the rings, I'm out.
Librarian Girl

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know who's first to come to mind when I hear the word "kickball"? You know the one.... my Jr. High fantasy man.... the one who only spoke five words to me in our whole Jr. High career. I blame my afro. Those words were, "are you next in line?" It was a kickball line. He may have been related to Edgar Allan.

Librarian Girl said...

Ah, yes. How could I forget those dreamy eyelashes? You should have said "I'm next in line for YOU, baby."

Anonymous said...

We have a library school kickball team! You should make a guest appearance if you ever roll through town, I think the team could use a boost. Last year the computer scientists (or was it the physicists?) soundly kicked some librarian arse. I can't remember because I am merely an athletic supporter, not an actual kicker.

Melinda said...

Kickball is badASS. Plus, you're not a rejuvenile if it's retro. :)

I wish I had kickball skillz. I played in a pickup game a few years ago and could only do those lame kicks where you kick the ball up and towards the center where it is immediately and easily caught by the person who rolled it to you. I'm the easy-out girl.

Anonymous said...

Kickball? Fargin' AWESOME! Said in my best buttoned down, sitting at my computer during work hours voice.

Unknown said...

What Leah failed to mention was that while we went an entire season without winning a game, or scoring many runs, we were awarded the BLUE BALL AWARD for spirit and sportmanship. Hurray for librarians playing kickball!

Librarian Girl said...

What could be better than the Blue Ball award? Methinks nothing!

Katie Kiekhaefer said...

I just had a traumatic flashback to my days of elementary school kickball... eeeekkk. And I also think you should make an appearance at the library kickball team--we could use your ballsy style (had to pun... just had to...)