Thursday, December 28, 2006

Hokey for the Holidays

Highlights of the last couple of days, during which Libraryland was closed and I got to max and relax.

1. A midnight drive around my city with Nordic Boy, during which we looked at the holiday decorations that people festooned on their houses. We even drove back to our old neighborhood, to see if our ex-Neighbor still puts out his Blue Nativity. There it was, same as ever, on his porch. A set of plastic wise men, lit from within with bright blue lights, which cast a blue sheen all the way down the street. The baby Jesus lit as well, with a dirty white light inside of him. He is propped up, completely vertical, on top of the porch railing. This gives the distinct impression that the baby Jesus is, at any moment, set to slalom down the porch railing and down the hilly yard below. The wise men are circled around him like they're about to shove him off. Now I'm not a religious person, but that don't seem quite right, do it?

2. Spending an evening with my four-year-old nephew, who is currently obsessed with Stop Making Sense. Nordic Boy, my brother, and I all played the Talking Heads with his play toys (Nordic Boy on guitar and backing vocals, me on accordion, and my brother on percussion)while the little kiddie did the meanest David Byrne impression you've ever seen in your life. So, on Christmas Eve, it was "fa fa fa-fa fa fa fa-fa fah fa" instead of "fa la la." Qu'est que c'est.

3. Keeping up with our tradition of non-traditional holiday dinners, Neighbors B and J, Nordic Boy and I did a "July in Christmas" theme dinner, where we barbecued burgers, had corn on the cob, and potato salad. This was followed by an exchanging of gifts, and in honor of the pop culture-ness that you all expect from reading this blog, behold: the best holiday present EVAH. (Thanks, Neighbors!)

afterschoolspecials

4. For our final day of no-worky-time, Nordic Boy and I turned off the phone and holed up in our house while it rained cats and dogs all day long. We made a big holiday-esque dinner for two, watched "Little Miss Sunshine" (which made "Superfreak" the official holiday song of the year for us), and "X-Men 3" (or Gandalf vs. Picard, as we like to call it).

5. You know how, on the pilot episode of Little House on the Prairie (of course you do), Mr. Edwards shows up on Christmas and brings everyone a present? And the presents are so completely laughable by today's standards? I mean, Mr. Edwards gives Laura and Mary each an old raggedy looking tin cup that looks like he found during some serious dumpster diving. Their response? "We each get our OWN CUP now! THANK YOU!" Their own cup. Like their whole lives, the Ingalls have been passing around one nasty cup between all of them. And I think, if I am remembering correctly (correct me here, Neighbor J), Mr. Edwards brings Ma to tears by giving her a potato. A POTATO. I gotta tell you, hokey holiday things like that usually make me laugh. But, when Nordic Boy and I danced in front of our new mantle to "I've Got Your Love To Keep Me Warm," (the Dean Martin version, not the Irving Berlin), I gotta tell you. I was feeling the holiday hoke. Come on, you guys, you've been reveling in some hokey-ness too, right? Just a little? Comment/email me about it. Don't leave me all alone in the company of Laura and Mary.

Kiss the rings, I'm out.
Librarian Girl

9 comments:

Desperate Housewife said...

That bus is pretty cool.

Melinda said...

Is it any surprise that I have those same afterschool specials?

We watched the Little House on Christmas where Almonzo was supposed to be watching the baby but he totally dropped the ball, resulting in the baby getting stolen by a crazy lady who tried to raise her as her own. Merry Christmas!

Didn't those tin cups come with shiny pennies? Or was that just in the books?

srcsmgrl said...

It is definitely the simple things that get you. It made me a bit teary to have all of my brothers and sisters in the same room. We had a wonderfully rousing game of Apples to Apples.

Anonymous said...

OMG ~is that really a bus of afterschool specials? I must have those.

I danced to Christmas carols with my 101 year old Granny. A bit hokey but could be the last Christmas we get to do that.

velocibadgergirl said...

I kidsat a few days before Christmas, and me and the child charge watched an episode of Little House where Mary gets nominated to run for class president against Nellie Oleson, but then declines the nom at the last minute so the unpopular goofy animal-loving bully-bait kid in the class can win.

I never EVER realized how hokey that show was before...the bad acting! The sometimes-curiously-modern-sounding line delivery! Michael Landon's feathered hairdo! It was fab.

Librarian Girl said...

Yeah, that would be the episode entitled "The Election." The bullied kid is named Elmer.

I'm sorry. I have a sickness.

Anonymous said...

I just read your comment on Random Muse and I MUST know where to get control top fishnet stockings - unless you were kidding and then I'll feel really stooopid.

Sauntering Soul said...

OMG. I secretly still love Little House. I love it so much that I have managed to get my 9 year old niece to love it too. I've now given her Seasons 1 - 5 as gifts over the years and keep begging her to come spend a weekend with me and do nothing but eat and watch Little House.

And now I shall go bury my head in a hole for admitting this.

P.S. The Election episode made me cry. And the one where Mary wanted to pay for an entry to take some test and she tried to stay up all night studying in the barn but fell asleep and knocked over the lantern which burned the barn down. Okay, I think almost every episode makes me cry. Because I'm a dork.

Anonymous said...

Best. Present. Ever.