Thursday, December 21, 2006

The Ball Cracker

On a bookshelf in my guest room, I have an inconspicuous-looking unlabeled VHS tape. This tape contains evidence of my days as a starry-toed ballerina. Back in the day when I was better at this crazy thing than I ever will be at another thing in my whole life. It's a tape of a staging of the Nutcracker, the year that I played Clara, the lead. As was my m.o. back then, I was the youngest Clara that that dance company had ever had. So there I am, all baby-ish looking and dancing up a pointy-feeted storm like it was the easiest thing I had ever done. Come to think of it, it was.

Every year, my friends say to me: wouldn't it be fun to bust out that tape and have a party where we all watch it? What better thing to do for the holidays? And I go, yeah, sure, that could be fun. But somehow, it never happens. I'm not sure why. I'm not a person who embarrasses easily, people. When I found my journal from high school, which, really, could win AWARDS for embarrassing material, you know what I did? I read it out loud to anyone who would listen to it. I SHOWED people the parts where I described such things as how I wanted Greg Louganis to de-virginize me and how slow dancing with Sean C. made my ears burn hot and what the first penis I ever saw looked like (I actually described it as "nice." Like I met it at bingo and it let me have the last triscuit or something). HONESTLY. I mean, I would read it aloud on this here blog if I thought you guys wouldn't immediately click away. So me and embarrassment, not so much. But there is just something about publicly viewing The Tape that makes me nervous. Maybe I feel like that would just be too narcissistic, to have my friends over to watch ME ME ME. Look at my GENIUS ARTISTRY, LOOOOOOK. But that's dumb, right, because it's not like I can do ANY of that shit now, believe me, so bragging rights are way too far in the past to really matter any more. So I don't know. Should I do it? Just get it over with? Maybe it'll be fun. Right?

But on the other hand, does anyone out there enjoy hearkening back to when they were twelve? It's kind of an excruciating time of life, like, by definition. And there were some excruciating moments that come rushing back when I think of that time. Like, the fact that I had to partner with a man of 25, who played the Prince, and the choreographer kept telling me to "look at him like you looove him. You adoooore him. Look at him with looooooove." Dude, I'm twelve. Stop saying looooove in front of this man, who I already have to be flipped all around by which is bad enough. Or the fact that I had two quick changes during the show, meaning I had to run off stage, literally into the arms of four old seamstress ladies, who stripped me down and slapped my new costume on and pushed me back out on stage. With many other dancers in the wings, RIGHT THERE, where they could see me. Hi, male dancers, this is me in my training bra in a flurry of old ladies and velcro. Or the time that one of my friends, who was two years younger than me and played the role of a gingerbread candy, peed in her costume and stashed the smelly remnants of this in my dressing room after one of the shows. Or the fact that I kind of knew that two of the dancers in the show were having an affair, one of them being married. The reason I knew this was my baby-girl eyes saw them copping a feel on each other one time after a rehearsal. Or the time a talent scout came to a cast party and told me I should audition as one of the little kid parts for the Broadway touring company of "The King and I" but that my headshot should definitely be "in profile" instead of "full faced." I didn't quite get what that meant, but I knew there was a put-down in there somewhere. Or the time when the guy who played my brother "Fritz" (who was older than me too) had a situation where his costume had been altered right before the show, and there was still a PIN inside his pants, that was, um, POKING him. During a two-minute break in our presence on stage, we danced off into the wings and the poor sucker had water in his eyes. "There's a pin in my pants!" he had whispered to me while we were on stage together. As soon as we got to the wings, he plunged his hand down the front of his pants, frantically trying to find the culprit. "Ow! Ow!" he said in a painful panic, as I tried not to look. The seconds were ticking until we had to go back on, and finally he just dropped trou in the muted light and bent over, trying to find the pin. "Help me!" he said. And so I did. I got down there and felt around in this dude's pants. It was like a needle in a haystack (har har). But I found it. And me and that guy? Never really could speak to each other again. Because he was older and I had seen him sans PANTS. And I had put my hands down where his crotchal area had been, and like, felt the warmth of it all. ICK.

So maybe that is it. Just put aside for the moment that it is a tape of a performance. Would any of you out there, if you had a tape of yourself at the age of twelve, feel excited to watch it? To be reminded, in crystal clear color, of the awkwardness of all that puberty had to offer you? And would you invite all your friends over to watch it with you? Doesn't that seem strange?

Am I making too much of it? Probably. I can be nuts that way. Or cracked. Whichever you prefer.

Kiss the rings, I'm out.
Librarian Girl

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

GAWD how I wish you would post that diary on this here blog. It's so damn...... "nice"!

Librarian Girl said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Librarian Girl said...

Sheesh, Blogger just erased my comment! What I was TRYING to say, was that Al, you only think that journal is entertaining because you know the cast of characters in it so well. I doubt anyone else could stomach my descriptions of how "Taco" looked in his jeans each day.

Anonymous said...

Librarian Girl, I think you underestimate your loyal readers. I'm sure that more than a few of us would love to hear that diary. How about just random excerpts at the beginning of posts? Okay, that might be a bit odd, but you could just right it off as creative expression.

By the way, my word verification word today: Smenita. Sounds like a lovely name for a child, huh?

french panic said...

No, you are not making too much out of it. You are making too little of it. I don't even have the guts to read the crap I wrote when I was 12, never mind viewing live, unedited footage. Piano recitals would be my nostalgia-hell.

Still, I am interested in your young self's diary quotes.

Give me the Taco.

Anonymous said...

I don't think it would be weird to watch you embarass yourself amongst your friends. It would probably bring back horribly humiliating memories for all and you could bond over that.

I am impressed, tho, that you would be willing to do it. I still keep all pre-high school materials at home, with my parents. A wall of bangs from high school is as much humiliation as I'm willing to store in my own home.

Anonymous said...

Oh man. That entry. Awesome.

I could actually "see" you dancing in the Nutcracker (and searching for the needle in the haystack, hee!hee!)

Nice walkin' down memory lane with ya. : )
--Ang, asmalltowngirl.com

WDL said...

my cousin and i used to make "dj tapes" that were more like bad NPR, as well as our own version of talk shows, where we would interview celebrities (us dressed up.) Thanks to the magic of VHS converter that my Aunt got last year for Chanukah- and my cousin leaving the VHS's behind when she moved out of her childhood home - My Aunt thought it would be good fun to show them at the last family gathering.

Hilarious/ Embarrassing. I forgot how much my voice changed (I used to sound like a kid - now I sound like Joan Rivers with a sore throat).

Anyway, happy holidays from one former child star to another.

xo,
WDL

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOD you need to post the diary on this blog! Who is this Taco character and I must know about the jeans situation. I assume they were acid washed?

Great post, I love reading about your 12-year-old ballerina days. :)

Anonymous said...

Hm. I think you should watch it. Old dance videos are the best. But I kind of feel you, because when I was 11 I did my first opera, a kid's version of Hansel and Gretel, and I was Hansel. This is itself was not problematic; I was totally the best person for the job, and in fact Hansel is a woman's role (I only found this out years later, however). BUT. My costume was woolly fake lederhosen which nobody bothered to fit on my chubby, girlish, 11 year old ass. They just sized them for some generic boy my age and handed them over at the first dress rehearsal. I pulled them halfway up my legs and started crying. The music director came into the dressing room and I had to show her exactly how the stupid shorts did not fit. Total humiliation. Then, when I took them home to my mother (the professional seamster) for alteration, I got yelled at by the director. Oy. Nightmare.

All this, and I was wearing MY training bra under the boy costume. Sigh. But onstage I looked very cute and jolly and I sound like a little bird. So watch it. You'll be amazed.

Anonymous said...

Your friends would LOVE a peek into your somewhat mysterious dancing past. I say bring it on! I have been curious about this for years, my dear. Just think, watching the tape w/ some supportive friends, in the comfort of your own home- that would be so neat!