Friday, June 29, 2012

Emily and James Blunt

Today during my lunch hour, I was standing in line at the drug store, and this man in line was singing softly along to the piped in music. It was "Juke Box Hero" by Foreigner, in case you were wondering. The woman behind him thought he was talking to her, and so she said "excuse me?" to him. Instead of saying "nothing," which seems like the expected response, he said all loud and proud "I am SINGING. I love to SING."

Then, I was walking down the street, and there was a lady on the corner who was trying to stop people to sign some sort of petition or something. You know how that goes- people hurry by, trying not to make eye contact, and the most petition lady can hope for is for the more polite people to mumble "sorry, not today," or something like that. I heard her say "do you have a minute to talk to me today?" and a woman responded "Yes, I do have a minute, but I just don't feel like talking to someone I don't know about something political."

So you guys, obviously this is Blunt Honesty Day and no one told me.

I am trying to think of something Bluntly Honest to tell you. I feel like honesty is easy, it's coming up with something sufficiently blunt that is harder.

Here are some honest facts.

Someone flipped me the bird when I was walking down the street the other day. It made me think about the fact that I don't often see bird flippage outside of a vehicle, just out on the street like that. I actually don't know what the bird was for- I was walking around minding my own beeswax and I don't think I was doing anything annoying. But some dude looked me dead in my face and boom. Bird. It was funny and also did not make me feel good, somehow at the same time. Kind of like watching Toddlers and Tiaras makes one feel.

In the past couple of weeks I have had people I admire on Twitter tweet something at me or Favorite something of mine. I feel all kinds of stupid that: (a) I admire people on Twitter, and (b) that I would get that excited about getting Twitter-acknowledged. That can't be healthy, right?

Anna Breslaw on Jezebel described Louis CK as the "Lethargic Husky Dream Man of men and women across the nation" and that made me want to die from the funny.

I realized this week that I became the "Loudly Sighing Lady" at work and made a note to STOP IMMEDIATELY.

I don't know if that was blunt, but it's all I got. I hope you have a lovely weekend!

2 comments:

Katie K said...

Louis C.K.'s voice is the voice of my dreams. It's not even like he has this swoon-worthy voice (like, um, Benedict Cumberbatch for instance?) but when I hear him, it's like "Wooowwwww."

(I feel like I should be posting this anonymously because it's utterly mortifying.)

cadiz12 said...

"people I admire on Twitter" is totally a legit thing.