Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Weekly, the Three-quel

The weather has officially turned. The rain, she pours. The clouds, they laugh. The wind, he cuts.

I thought it would make it that much more dramatic if I wrote it all stupid like that.

I guess it's time for a Weekly, but I'm not sure because I am all jacked up because I worked both days of this weekend. Whenever I do that, it's like a weird form of jet lag or something. I don't know what day it is, where I am, what I am doing. I just get all messed up. So like now, it feels like a Wednesday. But I don't have that half-the-week-is-over feeling, because I still have to work until Friday. You know what I mean?

Goddammit this is rivieting.

That paragraph right up there, kind of reminds me of some of the conversations I have with Biology Girl. She and I can really get into the minutae of our lives. Somehow, hearing about how she did her laundry and that she slightly overcooked her dinner is fascinating to me. And if I am bursting at the seams to tell someone that I counted out the change in my change jar and hey- I have twenty bucks!- she would be the one to care. Not just humor me, but really care. So that paragraph up there, that one is for her. The rest of you all can just go ahead and un-read it.

On to the Weekly! Weekly #3: the Three-peat!

Weekly TeeVee: I have never seen a full episode of Survivor. I know, I know, as the pop culture librarian, this seems impossible. When it first started, I just couldn't bring myself to watch it, what with all the pseudo-tribal mumbo jumbo on there. As an islander myself, I just couldn't stomach it. Much like I will never, and I mean never, participate in "Hawaiian Shirt Day" at work. It's not like I am offended by it, or begrudge anyone else on this stuff. I just can't go there. So, after all these years, I never jumped on the Survivor bandwagon. But, I did catch the first elimination of this season. Apparently some dude named Chicken was eliminated. Chicken. How does one acquire such a name? Shame on that dude's parents. And when he was voted off, it was the most delicious, most honest expression of disappointment I think I have ever seen. Nordic Boy and I have been quoting Chicken all week. Oh, and on a side note. A personal message to Tim Gunn. Tim, I still love you and everything, but you are boring me to DEATH.

Weekly Music: We all know by now that I have a penchant for making up silly songs. In fact, if you are a bonafide songwriter or recording artist, and someone thinks that your songs are on par with mine, then you have really got a big problem. That means that your song is probably a big old turd. Case in point: I was cleaning the living room the other day, marching around the house singing "babywhereyougetyourbodyfrom, babywhereyougetyourbodyfrom...I got it from my mama, I got it from my mama..." I sang this song for so long, with so much committment, that I turned around to see Nordic Boy staring at me.

Him: Did you make that song up or is that a real song?
Me: Totally real.
Him: It is not. You made that up.
Me: Totally real!
Him: Shut up.
Me: I'm serious! It totally is!
Him: No. Really. I mean shut up.

Weekly Worst Moment: I was in a favorite shoe store of mine, buying a pair of gorgeous boots that I have been waiting two years to find, and as I was paying for the shoes, the saleslady (is that the right term? Retail attendant. Consumer helper. Shopping Elf.) asked to see my driver's license along with my credit card. I handed it over, and she had the gall to say to me: "oh. This isn't the best picture of you, is it?" I laughed a little and said, "yeah," because really, I couldn't argue with that. She went on to say "Wow. It's really unflattering. Not good." Ok lady, stop staring at my Quasimodo photo and give me my goddamn boots. I think she felt a little bad for going on about it because she then said "I mean, you're just much prettier in real life." Nice try, Home Slice, but the camera don't lie.

Weekly Best Moment: Nordic Boy and I have known each other a long time. Loooong. And you know, they say that when you've been together a long time, you start to become the same person. So far, this hasn't happened to us, as far as I can tell. There's no way we will ever look alike (me: shorty brown shortcake; and him: tall drink of blond water), we certainly don't dress alike, and our mannerisms are nowhere near each other. However, our strange, strange sense of humor. It's starting to become one. As we were driving to the hardware store the other day, there was a Chrysler Le Baron right in front of us.

Him: See that car? That kind of car totally reminds me of the Midwest.
Me: Totally.

And then, for no reason at all, at exactly the same time, we both yelled out "Le Barrrron!" in our very best fake French accents. Then we laughed so hard about it, that he had to pull over. Tears were shed. Stomachs cramped up. What is funny about this? Why did we both say it at the same time? Don't know. But it was good times.

Weekly Photo: This is what my sky will look like for the next 5-9 months.

Oct 2 2007 sky
Bust out the wool tights.

I'm out,
Librarian Girl

11 comments:

Scottsdale Girl said...

Jesus! Just looking at that picture made me shiver. *puts sweater on*

I am starting to be thankful I have no clue who Tim Gunn is. Just in time too because I was starting to feel left out of the joke...

Katie Kiekhaefer said...

I'm sort of glad I don't have cable anymore. If I did, I would watch Tim Gunn be less than marvelous and I would feel sad. Also, you and Nordic Boy are fantastic--I'd like to be you when I grow up :)

Sauntering Soul said...

I really wish Nordic Boy would video tape some of your "singing performances" and share them with the rest of us. It's just not fair he has all the fun! It's just not fair.

Also, I'm sorry that lady said your photo was bad. No one wants to hear something like that.

Dallas Diaries said...

trade you for Dallas weather. 92 degrees out !

srcsmgrl said...

Darn, thanks for reminding me about the weather...5-9 months...shoot. But I like sweaters. And frosty weather. Much better than rain. Bring on the snow!

But then we don't really get much of that, either.

Claire said...

That showing your id thing, when you pay with your credit card, that confused us muchly that did. We don't have to do that in the UK; makes it much easier when you're using a stolen credit card... :o)

We went straight to Winter here, missed out Autumn altogether, brrrrr. And there's all these doomsayers telling us it's going to be a loooong winter. Yeah thanks for that, cheers. Pass me that sparkly beret and bring it on

cadiz12 said...

oh those dmv pictures DO LIE. i don't look completely stoned in real life.

Well, at least not all the time.

Xteener said...

My DMV pic looks like a mug shot. They gave me no cues as to when they were going to snap the picture resulting in one of the worst pics of me that EVERYONE gets to look at. Most do a double take and then make some kind of comment.

Sphincter said...

Those DMV bastards get a sick charge out of taking blackmail caliber photos, I just know it.

Chris Cactus said...

Just watch - Survivor is addictive. Beth and I tuned into the third episode ever, laughed our asses off at how stupid it was. And we've been watching ever since.

Jan Ross said...

I WISH it would get cold here in Kentucky. It's going up to 90 today. I want sweaters. I want boots. I want jeans. Dammit.

Also - Survivor. I'm over it. I watched the first couple of years but now it's just so boooooring. I can't believe anyone watches it anymore.