Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Hyperactive

You know how I am always talking about how librarians tend to have secret lives that you would never guess were there? It's totally true. I am not trying to perpetuate a stereotype- you know the one, where the stodgy librarian whips off her glasses and takes down her hair and all the buttons pop off her shirt and then it is ON. That is merely one incarnation of the secret lives of librarians. The diversity of librarian secret lives is really boundless. I have seen it proven over and over again. I have, on occasion, revealed some of the secret lives that I carry around in my own life portfolio. And today, I'm revealing one more. Ready?

There was a brief period, back when I was first in college, when I was HYPER. I mean, bouncing off the walls, extrovert-to-the-max LOUD and PROUD, kind of insane, hyper. Energy for DAYS. There was loud verbiage spilling from my mouth at all times. You remember Gilda Radner on SNL as the little girl named Judy Arlene Miller? Yeah, that was me when I first showed up at college. If you know me now, this seems ludicrous, and you're probably having a hard time picturing me acting this way. Because now, I am the person who is known for thinking before she speaks, a person who would never, ever jump up and down for no reason at all. Or even if there was a reason. Jumping up and down is no longer on my list of ways to express my glee. I don't really know if I am even one who feels something called glee any more. I am now known, first and foremost, as the Responsible One. The one who has all their Shit Together. Steady. Reliable. But when I first arrived at my dorm my freshman year of college, the words "woo-HOOOOO!" was a word I would use in just about any situation. I would routinely walk up to people I didn't know and say "Hi! What's your name?" no matter who you were or what you were in the middle of doing, and by the end of the conversation, I might actually be hugging you. Oh yes. I was that girl. By the end of my first week, I was the person who knew everyone on my floor, and my dorm room door was always open and my room was always filled with people. All. The. Time. And I was always up for fun! That was me! Fun! Fun! Fun!

Talk! Talk!

Jump! Jump!

Giggle! Giggle!

What? Did you say something? I was busy talking! And jumping! And giggling!

Oy. It makes me exhausted just thinking about it. I have a souvenir of this time in my life, and it makes me laugh every time I look at it. It's a handmade flier, announcing "Quiet Hours" in the dorm for exam week. These were the hours that you were supposed to shut the hell up so that people could study or sleep. So, the sign says something like "Quiet Hours 11pm-5am." And, in the white space of that flier, someone had graffitied in the words: "Librarian Girl, THIS MEANS YOU." That says it all, doesn't it? We have a sign telling people to shut up, and I am literally the Poster Child of those who need to shut up the most.

The reason I am bringing up this time in my life is because my roommate from the good old (extremely hyper) days is coming to visit me this weekend. My roomie was not, and is not, hyper. She bore witness to all of my lunacy and kept her head about her the entire time. She lived with me for a whole year and never once told me, god bless her, to CALM THE FUCK DOWN. On the contrary, I think she found my antics entertaining. At least I think so. We're still friends so that must say something.

It's kind of a funny thing to hang out with her now, knowing that she knew me best at a time when I was so different than I ever was before or since. It really was a sort of flash in the pan, Haley's Comet sort of time for me. I got every ounce of extroverted energy out of me all in one go. And then, almost overnight, it burned itself out, and I went back to being laid back, still social, but overall pretty introspective. I can't explain this. Maybe it was hormones. Who knows. I'm mostly amused at my 18-year-old self when I look back at it, but there is a small part of me that's a little embarrassed too. I left that college just as this phase was burning out, and the thought that there is a whole group of people out there who only knew me during this era makes me feel kinda funny. And there's a part of me that wonders, after all this time, if my roomie friend really sees me for who I am now, or if that Lunatic Me is lurking about in her mind when she looks at me. You know how, when you see someone do something truly embarrassing, there's a part of you that associates them with that act forever? Like, when this girl named Melody barfed on my desk in 7th grade math, I could never look at her again without thinking about that. You know what I mean?

Maybe, in honor of my ex-roomie's visit, I should resurrect High Energy Me. I could greet her at the airport by running toward her full speed and shrieking at the top of my lungs, ending up in a hugging/jumping display of affection. Or I could giggle and introduce myself to every cute boy I see (another trait of that era) and invite strangers into our conversation as much as possible (I did that too).

I don't think so. I think I'll just enjoy the fact that I have this friend, who has seen me with my metaphoric pants down, and who still loves me in spite of this. She didn't just tolerate me, she loved me. I'm sure of that. That's so cool, it fills me with glee.

Kiss the rings, I'm out.
Librarian Girl

5 comments:

Sphincter said...

One time, in our dining hall, I watched from a nearby table as this girl named Courtney puked on her lunch tray. In her defense, it was a very low-key hurl. No gagging or anything. But it was just before her artsier than thou little group joined her, and she put a napkin over it and sat there with it until she got up to leave. I was transfixed. And ever after, she was known to me as Tray Puker.

Sauntering Soul said...

And that cat litter/sand stuff they put over the puke on the floor? OMG! The smell alone would make me almost hurl too.

Maybe it's a college thing because I went wild in college too. It doesn't sound like I was quite as wild and loud as you, but I definitely came out of my shell when my feet hit the dorm doors. I'm grateful for it because I was shy like you've never seen in your life and now I'll pretty much talk to anyone. I was so shy I was terrified to talk to some of my own relatives.

I also think part of it was because I went to a pretty large school (26,000+ students) and I didn't know anyone in my dorm so I figured I was going to have to snap out of the whole "shy" thing or I would be pretty lonely and miserable. My friends I grew up with were pretty shocked when they saw how much college changed me. They're still my friends so I guess it wasn't a bad thing.

Anonymous said...

Hey, it is me, the old roommate! I am exhausted just reading the post of hyperactivity from days gone by. What I remember from those days is that you were comfortable with everyone (I wasn't) and had great appreciation for silliness (which, of course, is an exceptional quality in a friend). I don't think we would have been friends then or now if that core of concern for others/ belief in the importance of being responsible/ and openness to talk about big issue stuff wasn't there (plus silliness, of course). All that was just underneath the enthusiasm.
I'm really looking forward to seeing you and Nordic Boy this weekend. I am really glad that we've remained friends after all of these years and all of the changes we've both gone through. I like to think I'll be one of the folks checking in on you when you are recovering from knee replacement surgery (old jumping injuries) when we are seniors citizens.

cadiz12 said...

you should definitely resurrect the Lunatic Self when you greet her. you know, just to make sure recognizes you at the airport.

Anonymous said...

One of the things I love about old friends is how well they know you, how you don't have to explain yourself as much - if that makes any sense. Probably not. Anyway, have fun with your friend!!!