Friday, March 23, 2007

Profile of a Crybaby

I love this blog and all the perks it comes with, such as ready access for me to talk about nonsense so as not to annoy nonconsensual listeners in other parts of my life, as well as linking up with all you lovelies out there who comment and email and invite me over to see your blogs, where we have virtual tea and crumpets and talk about what's new with you. There is one thing about my blog that I have always been dissatisfied with, and that is my Blogger Profile. The way they have it set up? Bo-ring. They give you a random question, which yeah, is kind of funny, I guess. Then they give you a section called "interests." And you just have to list things. This, for me, is excruciating. Why that is so, I'm not quite sure. I know this is how things are done in the social networking world. You go on match.com and you have to list your interests. You go on MySpace and you list interests. But what does that really do for you? What does it tell you about me to know that I like La Push beach and Brian Kinney? I guess it tells you something, but...ehh. It just doesn't do it for me. It's so lacking in description. There's no real voice that comes through. Which brings me to a Life Lesson that I want to tell you about. In my usual way, this Life Lesson will appear to have nothing to do with the fact that I hate my Blogger Profile, but to me it does, and in this here blog, if I say it relates, it relates! (Look at me going all authoritarian on you! Kind of sexy, yes?)

So, I once had this job that changed my life. After years of surviving on arty pursuits that didn't have things like health insurance or day time hours, I had landed myself a Real Job. I could go to the doctor if I needed to! I would arrive at work at 8am and leave in time for dinner! And the best part of this was that I was working for an organization that could not, in any way, be described as working for The Man. It was grassrootsy, it was progressive, it was changing the world! I was not a sell-out! I remember that I got the call to be hired on my birthday. I was so excited. No more wondering where the next paycheck would come from, no more moving around in order to find work. It was a good, good day in my life.

Fast forward two years. Me, a little older, a little less pep in my step. The Real Job? It was crap on a bun. I dragged myself to work, where I sat at my desk, feeling invisible for the first time in my life. Invisibility is something I had never had to deal with, ever. I've always had girlfriends who talk about going through phases in their adolescence where they felt invisible, and I had never understood that. Growing up in the Midwest, looking like I do, all islander brown goodness, I had never had the option of being invisible. People were always looking at me. I commanded attention, whether I wanted it or not. So, at this job, the force of invisibility was crushing. Issues would arise at work, I would communicate them to my peers and supervisors, and it would be as if I had never spoken. Everything I said and did passed by, unacknowledged. I would bring up concerns and potential solutions on a weekly basis, over and over again, and each time I did, I would be looked at like they had never heard any of it before. Nothing made a dent. It was as if I was encased in a sound-proof booth, like the ones they used to make Miss America contestants go into during the interview competition, where I would wave and yell and jump up and down, but no one could hear a word I was saying. It was discouraging, to say the least. It was like Kafka had taken over my life.

During this period, there were times that were so full of disillusionment that I would go into the bathroom at work, go into a stall, lock the door, and cry. This behavior is so ridiculously un-me I can't even tell you. Yet there I was, sobbing silent tears of frustration in the poo-poo closet, probably twice a week. I was miserable.

One morning, I drove Nordic Boy to work. After we pulled up to his building, there was something in my voice that gave him pause.

Him: Hey, everything ok?
Me: Yeah. I think so.
Him: What does that mean? You look really sad right now.
Me: I...just...don't want to go to work.
(tears start busting out of my eyeballs)
Him: Whoa! Hey. What's going on?
Me: I hate it there! I keep talking...no one listens...nothing changes...it's so messed up...and I have to...cry...in the bathrooooooom.
Him: What?? You cry in the bathroom? At work?
Me: Yes.
Him: On a regular basis??
Me: Yes.
Him: That is totally unacceptable! There will be no crying at work! If work is making you cry, and there's no way to make it better, you have to quit. You can go back to what you were doing before, until you find something else. You're not trapped. You're giving your notice. Today.
Me: (silence...silence) I can do that?
Him: Oh my god, you can totally do that.

The thing was, him saying that I should quit? It was a shock. Because even with the invisibility and the crying and the sound proof booth, I had somehow forgotten I could QUIT. I just up and FORGOT. I had gotten myself into a space where crying at work was just something I did. Just part of my day. Excuse me, everyone, it's 3:30, it's time for my crying break now. YIKES. I mean really, what kind of shit is that?

That day, I quit. And I went back to no health insurance land for a little bit. But I found something else to do, sooner than I thought possible. And I re-learned that Life Lesson: if you're hating something that bad, do all you can to change it.

So, I'm taking that god damn profile out of my sidebar. It doesn't make me cry at work or anything, but I do hate it. I'm making my own "about me" page. Check it out, it's right over there.

Take two things away from this post. One: if you've got an "about me" page in your blog, make it your own. Two: no crying at work.

I told you they were related.

Kiss the rings, I'm out.
Librarian Girl

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

What excellent advice, that Nordic Boy is a keeper. And yay for the new profile!

Mr. Toast said...

It's easy to forget that we have the option to take a pass; the word "quitting" has such a negative connotation. You and I sound similar in that we both take our jobs/careers VERY seriously, to the point where they become an extension of ourselves. When you invest that much energy into something that's so important to you, it's not easy to just quit ... in fact it goes against every fiber of our being. Pride makes us say "I will NOT give up/give in", or "I'm strong and I can beat this thing", or "It will get better". Either that or it often becomes a personality contest with a specific person at your job to whom you don't want to give the satisfaction of "beating" you. I was involved in something very much like this a few years ago and I hung on with the ferocity of a bulldog on a pork chop even LONG after, like you, it became apparent that the work situation was not going to change and would only continue to make me unhappy. I was just not willing to admit "defeat", and it took quite a while before I realized that letting go of what was an extremely unhealthy situation was NOT the same as being "weak". It was a hard lesson, but leaving that job -- eventually -- was the best thing that could have happened to me. I'm glad you got out too, it sounds like your life is so much better now. Congratulations.

Marigoldie said...

I love any post about quitting a job.
Rock on, LG and NB.

Melinda said...

Dude. I totally have not been ignoring you, blog I obsess over, for the past month -- I read you throuhg bloglines, which has not shown any new posts since February! I just decided to go straight to the source today to see if you were dead or what, and here you are: posting away, with me none the wiser.
F'ing bloglines... could've at least left a trail of breadcrumbs...
:)

Sauntering Soul said...

I just recently went through the whole crying at work on a regular basis (although not in the bathroom)thing. Isn't the moment you realize that nothing is permanent and you can quit and go somewhere else the most wonderful feeling in the world?

Sphincter said...

Hooray for Nordic Boy, the epiphany conjurer!

french panic said...

Ah ha! I obsessed over accumulating statistics, you writhed with hatred over the ill confines of the About Me social networking hooha.

My way of dealing with the About Me profile: Lie. My list of 'favourite movies', most of which I have never seen, are all alphabetized, in true librarianesque fashion. Inside jokes that really only I laugh at. But at least someone is laughing.

WDL said...

not at work, in the car on the way home. its gotten better, but it happens more than it should.

i identify with you girlfriend.

and i don't mean girlfriend like "hey, I'm nordic boy" , but like in a ghetto, casual way.

great post,
WDL

Anonymous said...

The job thing and the Blogger thing? They are perfectly related. Anyone who says otherwise is just not paying attention.

Cheers from a frequent lurker who always finds joy here.

Anonymous said...

My current job has more than once left me in tears. Generally though, I have prefered to get it all out in the parking lot before I go in. I'm glad that you were able to quit and do something else. At the moment...I am stuck. Happy as a lark...stuck in a tar pit...

Librarian Girl said...

Sara! You have no idea how it makes my day when someone de-lurks. Yay!

Anonymous said...

I loved this post. I also totally forget that I actually can quit stuff. I'm so glad that you did (and that you made a kick-ass about me page) and I need to remember to consider that as an option more often.

Also awesome? The phrase nonconsensual listeners. That made me laugh out loud :)