Thursday, December 29, 2005

Library germs

So I'm a librarian. You probably gathered that. I like my job, but shit, is it germy. I'm not one of those germophobes like Niles Crane, but I admit I am more Felix than Oscar. And being a librarian, when it comes to germs, is just nasty sometimes. I was weeding paperbacks earlier today and the crap that rubbed off on my hands makes my hoo-hah crawl. There was some suspicious brown schmear all over the back of a Buffy the Vampire Slayer series book that made me pray to Jehovah that it was just chocolate. Or gravy. If you get my drift. This type of situation makes me run back and forth to the staff bathroom where I wash my hands at least five times a shift. How did I become such a person? Did it start with the first patron who wiped their nose on the back of their hand before handing me their library card? Or with the first kid who coughed all the way across the reference desk onto my keyboard? I never thought I'd end up this way, people. Have some sympathy for Buffy and me. Keep those library books away from your gravy. Literally and euphemistically speaking.

Kiss the rings, I'm out.
Librarian Girl

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy the ones who have their hands full of books and the card in their mouth. If only the budget included a portion for rubber gloves.

Kate said...

I was sitting a few seats away from one of the nursing instructors at a training while I was all sniffly from allergies. She was afraid that I had something contagious, and in the next session of the training, she sat as far away from me as she possibly could.
The next time I had to send her something, I sprayed it with Lysol before putting it in the Interoffice Mail envelope...since apparently I'm Typhoid Mary.

Anonymous said...

Suck it up Librarian Girl...this is the real world.

Kate said...

Our library has a special "book wash" (Demco Book Cleaning Solution) that we make every morning and wipe down the covers of all books before they get reshelved. We are especially thorough on the picture books! Plus, it keeps all the books looking newer longer and removes finger prints.